Image for Frank Ocean cancels Splendour and sideshow performances

Frank Ocean cancels Splendourand sideshow performances

UPDATE: Frank Ocean has cancelled his remaining Australian tour dates.

Alt-J have replaced Frank Ocean as the headline band at Splendour on Sunday

LIVE FOOTAGE AND REVIEW OF FRANK OCEAN’S ONLY AUSTRALIAN SHOW

ORIGINAL STORY:

It appears that Frank Ocean has cancelled his Splendour in the Grass sideshow in Melbourne tonight.

While there has been no official announcement from the show’s promoters – Live Nation and Niche Productions – or the venue, Crikey journalist Amber Jamieson has tweeted that the Melbourne show has “definitely” been cancelled. Ocean is scheduled to headline Splendour in the Grass on Sunday night and play a pair of sideshows in Sydney early next week. FL has contacted both promoters for comment; an official statement will be released shortly.

FL reviewer Edward Sharp-Paul, who was at last night’s show, says that Ocean mumbled his thank-you’s and trudged off before his band had even finished (an admittedly excellent version of) ‘Bad Religion’. “The house lights came up, and it slowly dawned on a bemused audience that yes, that was it,” Sharp-Paul reports. “It was admirable that he soldiered on through obvious discomfort, but might have been fairer on his fans had he postponed, rather than struggle through. ”[The full review will be published on FL later today.]

Watch Frank Ocean live in Melbourne last night:

This isn’t the first time Ocean has cancelled an Australian performance. A week before last year’s Future Music Festival Ocean dropped out of the tour citing difficulties with the recording of his debut album. “His commitment to the album, and creation of the right live show is paramount and he sends his deepest apologies that these plans have taken longer than anticipated,” Future’s promoters explained in a press release. Ocean also cancelled several European shows last year including appearances at Way Out West festival in Sweden, Pukkelpop, V festival, Rock en Seine, Bestival and nine dates opening for Coldplay.

The OFWGKTA member released his debut solo record Channel Orange last year to critical acclaim. The record earned Ocean a Grammy for Best Urban Contemporary Album, and nominations for Album of the Year, Best New Artist and Record of the Year. It was also came in at number six on FL’s Top 50 albums of 2012, where it was described as a “a richly layered and emotional record that soars above the R&B pack.”

Fellow Splendour in the Grass act Babyshambles cancelled all their sideshows last week.

Frank Ocean’s Splendour tour:

Thursday, July 25 – Festival Hall, Melbourne
Friday, July 26 – Festival Hall, Melbourne
Sunday, July 28 – Splendour in the Grass
Monday, July 29 – Hordern Pavilion, Sydney
Tuesday, July 30 – Hordern Pavilion, Sydney

Social

Comments

Braveheart81 said on the 26th Jul, 2013

Cue many Super Whingey Kids in Melbourne.

gumbuoy said on the 26th Jul, 2013

Live Nation AUS & NZ ‏@LiveNationOzNz 5m

Regrettably we can confirm that Frank Ocean’s remaining Australian shows have been cancelled. Standby for further information.

bboy

bboy said on the 26th Jul, 2013

frank oceans of sadness

Oflick said on the 26th Jul, 2013

They can all cry me an ocean...

...and I'm out of here.

Braveheart81 said on the 26th Jul, 2013

Wow... Tyler is going to be pissed.

Oflick said on the 26th Jul, 2013

Earl, too...

...and I'm out of here again.

hellboy1975

hellboy1975 said on the 26th Jul, 2013

Hope Billy Ocean can replace him at short notice

grattan said on the 26th Jul, 2013

Wonder who headlines Splendour now? Upgrade Of Monsters of Men/Presets/Passion Pit?

Jose Cuervo said on the 26th Jul, 2013

plz be passion pit for lulz

crob said on the 26th Jul, 2013

hahahaha... i love it when hip hop artist schedule to tour Australia, it always brings the lols

berlinchair101 said on the 26th Jul, 2013

Except he's not a hip hop artist.

Teenage Mothers to headline.

crob said on the 26th Jul, 2013

well.... that some what proves i haven't listen to any of his stuff, i just assumed hip hop because he was apart of Odd Future

berlinchair101 said on the 26th Jul, 2013

Didn't he cancel his last Australian shows as well?

Oflick said on the 26th Jul, 2013

Yeah, he was meant to play at Future last year.

Braveheart81 said on the 26th Jul, 2013

I really haven't listened to much of their stuff hey but I'm open to it fo'sho.
I'll see what my mate would like to do. We rock in at 5ish I think so definitely some shenanigans that night.

Poor Tyler is probably on his way to Sydney right now.

What are the odds of heading interstate for two concerts on a weekend and they both get cancelled?

crob said on the 26th Jul, 2013

just imagine, your plane lands, you put your phone on and a text comes through 'sorry to tell you this, but .....'

berlinchair101 said on the 26th Jul, 2013

Good thing ticketek saved some trees by not bothering to send people tickets.

Ultrea

Ultrea said on the 26th Jul, 2013

congrats to the scalpers for making another $90.why not have a resell facility?

Gnarkid

Gnarkid said on the 26th Jul, 2013

they can cancel his sideshows ocean...

tyler07 said on the 26th Jul, 2013

Rough week.

crob said on the 26th Jul, 2013

This trip to Sydney has turned into a total disaster with Frank canceling and 2 of my 4 mates going pulling out within the last 24 hours. Capped off with two deaths at work (physiotherapist in aged/palliative care) and probably a couple more by the time I get back from Sydney.

Rough week.

sending you a hug

haydendavies

haydendavies said on the 26th Jul, 2013

jeeez major bummer, looks like Perth isn't the only place missing out on Frank Ocean this time

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 26th Jul, 2013

Frank Ocean wouldn't have been cancelled if he was Prime Minister

Stefan Beck said on the 26th Jul, 2013

As you all know I'm a pretty manly dude but I'm legit gonna cry.

Oflick said on the 26th Jul, 2013

Harden the fuck up, Stefan.

Oflick said on the 26th Jul, 2013

You find anything to do in place of it? All joking aside I know this is a total bummer.

tyler07 said on the 26th Jul, 2013

Well I would've attended James Blake or Of Monsters and Men but they're well sold-out.

This is the first time in Sydney for me! I don't even know what to do!

Oflick said on the 26th Jul, 2013

The only advice I could give is hit the pubs and clubs and get drunk. But that's about as obvious as you can get. I'm sure the other Sydneysiders would be more than happy to give more specific suggestions.

Stefan Beck said on the 26th Jul, 2013

I've thought about hitting up Gumtree for James Blake tickets but I'm not sure if I can be fucked.

This blows.

prettyswagger

prettyswagger said on the 26th Jul, 2013

he obviously heard you am i's fucking amazing version of super rich kids last week and realised that he is actually as shit as his album is. i seriously don't get what all the hype is about. his album is boring as fucking bat shit. simple as that.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 26th Jul, 2013

I went pubbing/clubbing in Sydney twice. once I hung out with Foals and the other time berlinchair and i got white boy drunk and eye-contact-crotch-shimmied at the Standard.To 'Lost' as well, funnily enough.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 26th Jul, 2013

held on to my James Blake tickets for the same night til yesterday in fear of Frank cancelling. heard he arrived in Melbourne so sold them thinking he probably won't cancel after coming all the way here. now i'm not going to either show.

awesome!

chrisdsingh

chrisdsingh said on the 26th Jul, 2013

Anyone know refund details? I haven't received an e-mail from ticketek yet but I know people who have :s.

berlinchair101 said on the 26th Jul, 2013

This is the first time in Sydney for me! I don't even know what to do!

If I was awake I would have typed this earlier, sorry.

Sleepmakeswaves were playing tonight. Roots first birthday was on too. Bummer.

Mindsnare are playing tomorrow night at the Annandale as well.

I think there's a Swans game on Sunday which can be fun if you're into that stuff.

The Standard o the corner of Oxford and Flinders St is awesome on a Saturday. There are bands of mixed quality until midnight, after that it's just cool hip hop dj's and table tennis. BC's had many a drunken night there.

Q Bar on Oxford street hosts a non-destroy-all-lines 'punk/alternative' club night called 'Wasted Years'. It can be pretty good, they have live artists sometimes and serve PBR in pint sized cans. it's not a good beer, but I'm just trying to to give you an idea of the place haha.

It's connected to Spectrum who play indie jams if you want something a little different. I think the cover to get into both (together) is $10

Avoid the Cross if you can, it's full of fuckwits. If you can't avoid it, I recommend World Bar. You'll still feel like the place will give you HIV but they play good music.

If you don't mind scummy places head to Scubar. It's a dirty backpackers bar but very popular and your chances of getting laid/punched by a NRL player are pretty high. Please wear protection for both.

I'd come show you around that night but I have plans for night lunch. Good luck.

mondo22

mondo22 said on the 26th Jul, 2013

I feel the pain of the promoter

tyler07 said on the 26th Jul, 2013

BC is a top bloke. Whatta dreamboat.

shazie said on the 27th Jul, 2013

Just adding onto Rhettboat, if you like really nice bars you should head to places like shady pines, the baxter inn and tios. They're all owned by the same people and are consistently voted in the top 4 bars in Sydney.

There's also really good places to eat such as Burger Fuel in Newtown (my favourite place in the world for burgers), and pretty much anywhere in Surry Hills (or Newtown, for that matter) is great for food. To start out a night, The Abecrombie in Central is a great place to go.

But yeah pretty much stay away from the cross if you want to avoid douches.

If all else fails, come party with MAB and myself at Everything Everything. Think the NME trash that MAB swoons over and that'll give you an idea :P

Or if you want to catch up with BC he'll probably be at the Enmore Theatre for Passion Pit.

berlinchair101 said on the 27th Jul, 2013

Food:

I'm not really a foodie kind of guy but here're some Americana/Mexican places I like to stuff my food hole

Tio's (Mexican) Surry Hills

The Dip (inside Good God Small Club in the CBD) Americana style food

Miss Peaches Soul Food in Newtown

Jazz City diner and Milk Bar (Surry Hills) - Americana food

El Loco (Mexican) Surry hills

berlinchair101 said on the 27th Jul, 2013

Also go to the Zoo or Wildlife World or the Aquarium because animals rule.

Plus the zoo means you can take a ferry ride across the harbour which is nice on a day like today!

All the bars Shazie mentioned are awesome. Not that you need my recommendation after a classy gal like Shazie mentioned them.

Oflick said on the 27th Jul, 2013

The Aquarium is awesome. I haven't been in about ten years, but I assume it's just as awesome as it was then.

Always intended to throw my brother into the crocodile enclosure. Never got around to it.

berlinchair101 said on the 27th Jul, 2013

There's a croc at the Aquarium, Wildlife World and the Zoo. It's not too late yet, Oflick!

flat_eric

flat_eric said on the 27th Jul, 2013

The reason it was awesome is because it was a COVER of an already awesome song.

tyler07 said on the 27th Jul, 2013

You guys are legit #bestdudes. We're staying in Surry Hills so will be checking all those out as food and beers will be a big part of our couple days!

I'm keen for Everything Everything tonight, they don't go on until after 10 so hopefully should be there by 8:30 pretty easy and will just buy on the door :)

Edit: YOLO'd and bought print out tickets. See ya'll there this evening.

crob said on the 27th Jul, 2013

If your at that end of town for everything everything n feeling adventures, then check out the olympia milk bar

tyler07 said on the 27th Jul, 2013

Previous schedule:
Beers (as the primary activity of the night)
Babyshambles
Frank Ocean

New schedule:
Everything Everything
Swans vs Richmond
Tigers vs Manly

People can now see my true bogan colours.

Jose Cuervo said on the 27th Jul, 2013

I had the time of my life when I went to the Aquarium earlier this year*

*Note: I had eaten a loooooot of mushrooms on the way there

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 27th Jul, 2013

I had the time of my life when I went to the Aquarium earlier this year*

*Note: I had eaten a loooooot of mushrooms on the way there

Fuck man, mushrooms and manta rays do not mix.

Jose Cuervo said on the 27th Jul, 2013

the dugong was fantastic though

The Great Monkey War

The Great Monkey War said on the 28th Jul, 2013

I had the time of my life when I went to the Aquarium earlier this year*

*Note: I had eaten a loooooot of mushrooms on the way there

Surprisingly on topic.

gumbuoy said on the 28th Jul, 2013

grattan said on the 30th Jul, 2013

Nice job Herald Sun! Another Nui Te Koha masterpiece!

Stefan Beck said on the 30th Jul, 2013

Printing a photo of Miguel and calling him Frank Ocean? That's racist.

berlinchair101 said on the 30th Jul, 2013

Maybe Miguel leg dropped Ocean's throat, causing the tear?

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 30th Jul, 2013

Rnb singers all look the same to me

Stefan Beck said on the 30th Jul, 2013

So I wound up getting two James Blake tickets from the Opera House box office somehow. Really nice seats so that was a pretty okay way to spend my night.

Sorry I didn't have the time to meet up with any of you nerds. Next time.

tyler07 said on the 30th Jul, 2013

Whaaaaaaaa?! Goddamn I wish I'd known that for James Blake.

Stefan Beck said on the 31st Jul, 2013

I still don't understand why they were available but supposedly there was four and I bought two of them.

Jose Cuervo said on the 31st Jul, 2013

Because you are good guy Beck (Y)

Stefan Beck said on the 31st Jul, 2013

Oh you. Huhuhuhu.

Napoleon Solo said on the 31st Jul, 2013

Good day at the SCG so you had a good weekend. You missed an awesome show at the Annadale though, Meniscus/Sleepmakeswaves

Jamezwm

Jamezwm said on the 31st Jul, 2013

^ Damn dude, didn't know you went. I was there too!!