The Postal Service reunite forCoachella

The Postal Service 2013” – that’s the message on the band’s official website announcing their return a decade on from the release of their debut album.

According to Billboard, Ben Gibbard and producer Jimmy Tamborello will reunite to appear at Coachella and will reissue their album 2003 album Give Up next month to commemorate the album’s 10-year anniversary. The album is Sub Pop’s second highest-selling album, behind Nirvana’s Bleach.

While on tour with Death Cab For Cutie last year, Gibbard told FL that the Postal Service project “was never meant to be a living, breathing organism” and warned fans not to expect a second album. “I would like to find some time to do something at a later point,” Gibbard explained. “But at this time we’re moving at almost ten years, which is crazy to say, but I think people should ask themselves how satisfied would they be with a new Postal Service record in 2015 or whatever? In some ways it’s probably better that there isn’t a second record, but that’s not to say there won’t be”.

Gibbard repeated those thoughts in an interview with Spinner in October, telling the magazine that “there are no plans to make a second record … I can’t say that enough … I find that making music in computers involves a lot of mouse time … I don’t have an aesthetic for that… I’m much more interested in playing music than creating it.”

Other acts “confirmed” for Coachella 2013 include Rodriguez, Father John Misty and Bat For Lashes while Nick Cave And the Bad Seeds, Atoms For Peace, Alt-J, Local Natives, Sigur Ros and the Yeah Yeah Yeahs are also expected to play.

Social

Comments

lineofbestfit said on the 21st Jan, 2013

It's finally happening, there is a site and give up tour is go. today is a good day, well aside from missing out on foals and being heath ledger's death day. My bets are on splendour snagging them or harvest.

Napoleon Solo said on the 21st Jan, 2013

My bet is on nobody really caring and they never tour here...

lineofbestfit said on the 21st Jan, 2013

ben is one thousand times more talented than those in it for the money hacks cedric and omar. He can actually make money from his other bands, unlike them

Braveheart81 said on the 21st Jan, 2013

Relevance of that? Absolutely none.

lineofbestfit said on the 21st Jan, 2013

this is a ten year anniversary not some in it for cash reformation like at the drive in and refused, both bands should have stayed broken up.

Napoleon Solo said on the 21st Jan, 2013

Why do you act like the only band I like is At the Drive-In? Your retorts would be a lot more interesting if you expanded a little.

Ben Gibbard hasn't made an interesting record since Transatlanticism anyway.

lineofbestfit said on the 21st Jan, 2013

narrow stairs was a mark of creative genius much more than plans, i think gregg will back me.

crob said on the 21st Jan, 2013

so when does the full Coachella line up come out?

berlinchair101 said on the 21st Jan, 2013

Gregg will back most things that stand still.

AAAIIIOOOOOO

lineofbestfit said on the 21st Jan, 2013

you left out jenny,she'll be a part of this also. she was the third member.

Braveheart81 said on the 21st Jan, 2013

Oh wow... because it's 10 years since they released Give Up, it's completely different to any other band reforming.

I bet they release any new music as a free download and play a load of free shows because money is irrelevant to them.

What planet do you live on Gman?

lineofbestfit said on the 21st Jan, 2013

a planet that doesn't revolve around watching football m8

berlinchair101 said on the 21st Jan, 2013

Is Ben Gibbard's dick a planet?

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 21st Jan, 2013

I do actually completely agree with this. narrow stairs is a great, dark album. one of my favourites by them.

plans and codes are definitely their lesser workings in terms of substance.

Napoleon Solo said on the 21st Jan, 2013

What planet do you live on Gman?

He lives on our planet but the air he breathes is of a higher density for obvious reasons.

kaydee

kaydee said on the 21st Jan, 2013

Jenny Lewis was never an official member. She contributed vocals (as did Jen Wood) to the album and toured with them as backing vocalist. Ben & Jimmy are The Postal Service.

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 21st Jan, 2013

tiny vessels is actually about breaking zooeys hymen.

lineofbestfit said on the 21st Jan, 2013

okay fine then solo, cursive haven't done anything good since the first record and neither has the songwriter, happy i listed another band.

Napoleon Solo said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

Well that was just dreadful because nobody without an aural dysfunction could come to that conclusion.
You're not trying, you are just doing it for my benefit.

redman300_bulldogs

redman300_bulldogs said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

Never heard of them. #notasinglefuckwasgiven :P

lineofbestfit said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

well you like amity and have a deadmau5 avatar so...

redman300_bulldogs

redman300_bulldogs said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

yep. two well known acts, unlike the postal service....

berlinchair101 said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

I don't know what the fuss is about anyway. I've been getting mail for years!

Huuuurrrrr

Braveheart81 said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

Actually, a whole lot more people in the world would be aware of The Postal Service than Amity Affliction.

The Postal Service albums sold over a million copies. That's certainly a lot more than Amity Affliction and quite possibly more than Deadmau5 (from lots of albums. He's certainly never had a single album sell a million copies).

redman300_bulldogs

redman300_bulldogs said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

#figureofspeech ^

All im saying is that majority of people in australia wouldn't have a clue who the postal service is..

aellea

aellea said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

postal service, pppffft. give me atoms for peace please!

lineofbestfit said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

amity are mainly loved by the teeny hardcore/punk kids whearas postal service are loved by a wide variety of people it's not just 'hipster indie shit' that will surely be a future comeback. People like you give me da sads

berlinchair101 said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

The majority of people in Aus wouldn't know who Amity Affliction are either. Most people in Aus think music begins and ends with p!nk.

lineofbestfit said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

and you think deadmau5 is known by a majority of australians?

redman300_bulldogs

redman300_bulldogs said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

well considering i am just an average australian i bet your going to get the same answer off most people my age (22 years old)

Interviewer: "Have you heard of Canadian Producer/DJ Deadmau5?"
Young average Australian (who would attend a couple of gigs, maybe one or two festivals a year): Yes

Interviewer: "Have you heard of American electronic music group The Postal Service?"
Young average Australian: Nope, never heard of them.

lineofbestfit said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

the funny thing is a majority of my posts this last week have been a joke and you are serious, this is why we can't have nice things. Postal service are equally as popular as ben's other band death cab for cutie and they sell out every Australian tour they do which is frequented by a lot of ages but mainly people your age.

redman300_bulldogs

redman300_bulldogs said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

ok you know it all. i am so so sorry lenny

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

Refused reformation > Postal Service reformation

lineofbestfit said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

you claim to know everyone's music taste who is your age, okay next time you go to a club or whatever then ask them if they know who the postal service are, i bet you'll get laughed at. Nearly everyone knows who they are you ignorant fool.

redman300_bulldogs

redman300_bulldogs said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

did i rustle your jimmies lenny?

lineofbestfit said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

the fact that you are using a internet slang that teenagers usually use proves you lost the battle.

Oflick said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

Who uses the Postal Service any more? Veryone should just use email! trolololol.

kaydee

kaydee said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

Says the 'man' with the music taste of a teenage girl and an addiction to using the greater than sign. lol.

Oflick said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

Yeah, but he didn't accidentally coin the term "Veryone" with his joke.

Napoleon Solo said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

I am sorry, but you are an idiot if you think The Postal Service are as popular as Death Cab in Australia.

berlinchair101 said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

It's a tumblr thing, you wouldn't understand, Solo.

shazie said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

I asked my friends "hey you guys hear that the postal service have reunited?". All but one said "who?" and the one who did know said "Oh yeah I remember, the guy Ben Folds covered at the Opera House gig."

*cue sandy reply from gman "WELL YOU HAVE SHIT FRIENDS LOLOLOL"*

Either way, would really like The Postal Service to do a tour down here.

lineofbestfit said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

at least i don't see trannies who play bad punk kaydee. also ben folds is crap shazie

shazie said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

I'd also like to think Ben Folds is a crap version of me, he doesn't pull off my look too well.

mondo22

mondo22 said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

to say that he's more or less talented than either is quite ludicrous.
I don't see how you could say that they're in it for the money... They never ever made anything commercially palatable, Omar was hesitant for many many years about doing a reformation tour with ATDI regardless of the wads of cash being offered and even after gaining worldwide success, Omar still regularly tours Australia and sells out smaller solo shows which he still only charges around $20 for.

Because The Mars Volta wasn't a huge success after the ATDI days?????

lineofbestfit said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

the only good record atdi record ever made was relationship and even that was pretty overrated much like the shape of punk to come. clearly you haven't listened to anything death cab for cutie have made, and to say my music is 'teenage music' is very laughable when you have a very high music rating with me.I'm sorry feel the pain was the only successful dinosaur jr song but get over it . Also tumblr >this forum, has noodz on tuesdays.

berlinchair101 said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

I like Death Cab, Refused and At the Drive-In.

I win!

lineofbestfit said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

and solo have you attended any death cab shows last year or the narrow stairs tour, surely someone who doesn't think they make records anymore wouldn't attend the shows.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

Death Cab were only successful because The OC told teenage girls to like them.

lineofbestfit said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

actually no they weren't they were successful long before that and the oc is a lot better than the shows you lot always go on about.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

I love Death Cab, ATDI and Refused, why do you have such a narrow minded opinion on music?

I'm pretty sure the teenage music reference is due to the fact that you seem to only listen/talk positively about Alpine, Lisa Mitchell, Sarah Blasko, Death Cab and Brand New.

lineofbestfit said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

brand new and death cab have a heavy over age crowd, in fact death cab only played all ages shows in sydney, the rest were over age on the codes and keys tour, same with brand new on the daisy tour from memory . I also listen to a lot of the same music as shazie and the other haters, for instance rilo kiley, mainly just the first two records however.

Napoleon Solo said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

I have seen them once in Berkeley, CA, about 4 years ago. No interest in seeing them again unless they did like a Transatlanticism show.

redman300_bulldogs

redman300_bulldogs said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

"yo lenny imma let you finish but the postal service are one of the most unknown bands of all time... of all time! " :P

lineofbestfit said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

well if ben is doing a ten year give up tour , it would make sense death cab would also do a tour of the album that broke them. redman you listen to a day to remember cover band aka amity, your opinion is null and invalid.

redman300_bulldogs

redman300_bulldogs said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

miles away>the postal service :P

shazie said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

I'm a fan of Death Cab though, also I'm not sure who Rilo Kiley are (just did a wiki search though).

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

Napoleon Solo said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

That graph only represents one episode too, and it was a repeat.

kaydee

kaydee said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

I think he's referring to me with the Rilo Kiley reference. Great band. If you want to check them out give The Execution of All Things a listen, although they could be a bit pop for you (from what I know of your music tastes).

I like Death Cab too. I was just pointing out the ridiculousness of Gman's attempted insult.

shazie said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

Oh that Gman

Will give Rilo Kiley a check though

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

gman, more like p(enis)man, amirite?

oldgregg

oldgregg said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

holy fuck, you guys are still talking about this? not even I talk about death cab this much.

Aidan1234567

Aidan1234567 said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

so much hate here wow

the postal service are an awesome band and I think many fans would relish the opportunity to see them live if they toured

...just like refused, ATDI and Death Cab
each to their own

Napoleon Solo said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

so much hate here wow

...just like refused, ATDI and Death Cab
each to their own

Thanks for the input Captain Sensible.

Braveheart81 said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

I think Aidan1234567 is 18 now.

He should create a new account under the name Aidan18+

lineofbestfit said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

neutral milk only became popular after andy and april admitted having sex there and jace, explain to me how you know so much about 80's/90's bands seeing how you are only 18 m8

Braveheart81 said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

You're saying Parks and Rec made Neutral Milk Hotel popular?

WRONG.

Neutral Milk Hotel have never been popular.

berlinchair101 said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

You realise that's not even me in the avatar? How do you not recognize a fellow Internet heavyweight when you see one? Cal doesn't even look like a bear!

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

What are you on about?
Am I not supposed to listen to music if it was made before I was born or something?

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

shazie said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

What are you on about?

Of course. And then people are meant to say "fucken youth of today, no respect for bands around before they were born!"

The system works.

Jose Cuervo said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

OK who let gman headbutt a keyboard again.....

lineofbestfit said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

[URL="http://www.facebook.com/search/results.php?q=gareth%20harding&type=pages&init=quick&tas=0.043133675256731396#!/pages/Gareth-R-Harding/211572692250136"]http://www.facebook.com/search/results.php?q=gareth%20harding&type=pages&init=quick&tas=0.043133675256731396#!/pages/Gareth-R-Harding/211572692250136 this page is long dead but i wonder if this was the work of the fool, was me at my trolling faster louder prime, seems legit

craig123

craig123 said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

nice jackass in that pic

Napoleon Solo said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

Do you really think you had a prime? That makes me depressed.

mondo22

mondo22 said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

1) that's an opinion 2) you didnt actually talk about any points that I made 3)I've listened to Death Cab and do like them 4)my point was that you were saying that Omar and Cedric... ahhh fuck it, there's no point even trying to argue with you.

Aidan1234567

Aidan1234567 said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

I think Aidan1234567 is 18 now.

He should create a new account under the name Aidan18+

6 months man, only 6 more fucken months

lineofbestfit said on the 22nd Jan, 2013

i think he means pink. she of sixteen sydney shows fame.

mondo22

mondo22 said on the 23rd Jan, 2013

no, he was referring to P!nk. Emphasis on the 'P' P nk

grattan said on the 12th Feb, 2013

"new" song:

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 5th Mar, 2013

This is fantastic. If only they had given Al the gig.

grattan said on the 6th Mar, 2013

shazie said on the 6th Mar, 2013

Pictured: grattan

berlinchair101 said on the 6th Mar, 2013

Gold.

"I think we both hate bass... so let's get this over with."