Rage Against the Machineattack 'fan'

Rage Against the Machine’s Tom Morello has blasted Mitt Romney’s Republican vice-presidential running mate and self-proclaimed Rage fan, Paul Ryan, declaring that the 42 year old politician is “the Embodiment of the Machine Our Music Rages Against”.

In a tirade written for Rolling Stone Morello brands Ryan as “clueless” and says that “Ryan claims that he likes Rage’s sound, but not the lyrics. Well, I don’t care for Paul Ryan’s sound or his lyrics. He can like whatever bands he wants, but his guiding vision of shifting revenue more radically to the one percent is antithetical to the message of Rage.”

“I wonder what Ryan’s favorite Rage song is? Is it the one where we condemn the genocide of Native Americans? The one lambasting American imperialism? Our cover of ‘Fuck the Police’? Or is it the one where we call on the people to seize the means of production? So many excellent choices to jam out to at Young Republican meetings!”

“Don’t mistake me, I clearly see that Ryan has a whole lotta “rage” in him: A rage against women, a rage against immigrants, a rage against workers, a rage against gays, a rage against the poor, a rage against the environment. Basically the only thing he’s not raging against is the privileged elite he’s groveling in front of for campaign contributions.”

“Rage’s music affects people in different ways. Some tune out what the band stands for and concentrate on the moshing and throwing elbows in the pit. For others, Rage has changed their minds and their lives. Many activists around the world, including organizers of the global occupy movement, were radicalized by Rage Against the Machine and work tirelessly for a more humane and just planet. Perhaps Paul Ryan was moshing when he should have been listening.”

Read Morello’s full attack on Rolling Stone

Watch Rage Against the Machine playing Bulls on Parade and Killing in the Name Of acapella outside the Republican National Convention in 2008.

Comments

mondo22

mondo22 said on the 20th Aug, 2012

Best article I've read in a while.
I like everything RATM stand for and I love how much they believed in what they were doing. There's way too many bands out there now doing it for the fame.

DinkiDIDude

DinkiDIDude said on the 20th Aug, 2012

Paul Ryans beliefs pretty well embody the antithesis of the principles I believe are holding the modern western world together, loving that Tom called this douche out.....

tyler07 said on the 20th Aug, 2012

I really do love RATM so much.

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 20th Aug, 2012

Ryan and Romney are probably the biggest muppets to ever be running for Republican president in American history, and that is saying a lot.

Oflick said on the 20th Aug, 2012

Up and RATM. RATM ANT!

Relevant.

Lucan

Lucan said on the 20th Aug, 2012

I like RATM's music more than their politics. And I tend to keep my elbows to myself in the pit.

Is still good to see folk like Morello who unwittingly become associated with a person/moevement given the opportunity to set the record straight.

Looking forward to chapter 2 where the Boss denounces Wayne Swan.

DinkiDIDude

DinkiDIDude said on the 21st Aug, 2012

Looking forward to chapter 2 where the Boss denounces Wayne Swan.

....'unwittingly' eh

ps did you happen catch their 2008 set at Sydney BDO? I believe the quote from Zach was something along the lines off 'well done Australia for Voting out the Howard Government'.......yeah RATM hate YOU and THE COALITION

gumbuoy said on the 21st Aug, 2012

I think the 'unwittingly' was in reference to Paul Ryan saying RATM was one of his favourite bands, rather than Morello's direct involvement with anti-war movements.

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 22nd Aug, 2012

[url=http://current.com/entertainment/music/89538216_ratm-rider-requirements-2-bottles-dom-perignon-6-pairs-cotton-boxers.htm]Fight the system!

DinkiDIDude

DinkiDIDude said on the 22nd Aug, 2012

maybe, maybe not, I personally took it as the guy insinuating that Tom Morello had somehow unintentionally stumbled into his support for the Democratic party, despite playing with RATM at the DNC in his past, and the endless stream of glorius expletive filled preaching against anything right of center at their shows......but then again my continual embittered bamboozelment at how that archetypal fucknut Tony Abbot is doing as well as he is in the polls, has made me somewhat snippy and reactionary....thinking it was the swanny and springsteen comment that did it for me this time, so your probably right......apols Lucan

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 22nd Aug, 2012

He's only at 38% though

gumbuoy said on the 22nd Aug, 2012

The Australian has them at LNP over ALP 45/35 in preferential, 53/47 in two-party-preferred,

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 22nd Aug, 2012

He said Tony Abbott, not the Coalition, I was going off the better pm stats.

gumbuoy said on the 22nd Aug, 2012

True, but as far as I'm concerned, Big Tony is really only a concern if he actually gets into power - he can have all the dumbfuck opinions he wants in Opposition. Hence why I looked at the stats that will probably actually put him into power next year.

Lucan

Lucan said on the 22nd Aug, 2012

Thanks, DinkiDIDude.

There's some (plenty??) of us out there who detest both Abbott and Swan. ;)

lateleigh

lateleigh said on the 18th Sep, 2012

If only politicians were even half as articulate or visionary as musicians like Tom.

shazie said on the 18th Sep, 2012

You really do put the "late" in lateleigh.

BOOM roasted.