Christopher Owens breaks-upGirls

Girls, singer-songwriter Christopher Owens has quit the group he co-founded.

Owens announced the news on Twitter and on the website of his band’s label, True Panther Sounds, telling fans that “This may come as a surprise to many & has been an issue of much thought for me. My decision was not easy to make. I am leaving Girls. My reasons at this time are personal. I need to do this in order to progress. I will continue to write & record music. More will be announced soon. I thank you all for everything.”

The other key member of the band Chet “J.R.” White hasn’t yet commented about any future for the band. The rest of the Girls line-up has been somewhat of a revolving door, with Owens and White using the talents of friends and associates to fill out their live shows. “Ever since our first show we’ve played with loads of different people; it’s kinda been our style,” Owens told FL back in 2009. “We usually work with friends we like or think are talented but usually those friends have their own projects so at some point they want to quit and do their own thing, or they never really join fully in the first place… I think I would feel weird at this point working with people who weren’t friends.”

Girls released two albums – 2009’s Album and last year’s Father, Son, Holy Ghost, which made the cut on FL’s list of the year’s best records. The band also toured Australia twice playing at Meredith in 2010 and on the Laneway festival tour earlier this year.

Comments

p1owz0r

p1owz0r said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

Big shame. I just ordered a T Shirt the night before last.

whitesmoke

whitesmoke said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

glad i got to see them at laneway then before they broke up, i loved 'father, son, holy ghost'.

Stefan Beck said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

In further developments, Christopher Owens, formerly of Girls has teamed up with the Flegel brothers from Canadian band Women and the trio are currently working on new music to be released under the name Ladies.

grattan said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

One for [URL="http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/forum/showthread.php?t=42732"]Band Math

shazie said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

Real shame, glad I saw them though.

yetiite

yetiite said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

That's too bad. I really enjoyed the first album; thought it was very impressive. Glad I saw them at Laneway this year too, although it was a little lackluster, I was really looking forward to them. Am I alone in feeling this?

shazie said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

Which laneway did you head to? I saw them in Brisbane and Sydney and found them good both times but enjoyed the Sydney one more. I think they would've been best at their own show at night in a small venue, but I was still in QLD when they did their Sydney sideshow.

Stefan Beck said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

I thought they were the best act of the day at the Perth laneway.

(M83 were docked 1,000,000 points for having the douchiest crowd of all time)

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

Saw them at Meredith and thought they were disappointing.

yetiite

yetiite said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

Brisbane. It was a few things. Crowd didn't seem too psyched for them, that always hurts, and the band themselves didn't seem to enthusiastic. Although, with the streaks of pathos throughout most of their good stuff, that's understandable. I agree a sideshow would have been better suited. Sort of like the XX a few years back at laneway. They were really disappointing to me and all my friends that year. The Tivoli would have been perfect for them.

Then again, I've developed a little bit of animosity towards laneway. I think that generally, now that it's gotten a little bigger, it's a waste seeing bands there. After Yeasayer and Foals at Splendour compared to Laneway, it was kinda sad and anticlimactic. That and the Antlers weren't very good the year before either. Crowd participation and energy is so important. And well, hipsters don't seem to dance. It's my personal opinion Laneway needs to expand and find a better venue for Brisbane. Though many would vehemently disagree. It might just not be might cup of tea.

shazie said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

With Brisbane they seemed to look very jet lagged, and yeah the crowd was pretty tame but as you said, seems to be the thing with hipsters at concerts.

As for foals at the Brisbane laneway and the sound on the mainstage was really quiet for bands playing on it, plus the crowd was surprisingly dull (even though Sydney crowds are quite tame for a lot of concerts, foals always seems to get a great response). I kinda like the Brisbane venue (mainly cause its very easy to get to when traveling there haha) but they need to fix sound issues (poor poor m83 this year. Wasn't even their fault and the crowd booed them, despite putting on a fantastic short set even without their main synth working properly). I agree about hipsters acting too cool to dance, can make a big difference to the vibe with an energetic performance from a band.

Should pop down to sydney or Melbourne for laneway, always have a great time! (thinking about going to the Melbourne laneway next year to see what the venue is like).

yetiite

yetiite said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

Would love to. Might consider it for future years.

Do you remember the mainstage last year? Thank god they moved it. The TINGTINGTING TATING-TING-TA-TING, off the toilet roof was fucked. It didn't seem to bother too many people, at least only a few people mentioned it, but it consumed the experience for me, but then again i'm 6'3 so maybe it's cause i was taller than most I was with? I don't know, but it fucking sucked.

It doesn't feel very likely an extra 5 or 6 inches at the most would create this problem for me but no one else. Just a theory.

shazie said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

Would love to. Might consider it for future years.

Haha luckily for me I only was at the main stage for foals and cut copy (spent more time at the main stage at the Sydney day) so I didn't notice but definitely was a great idea moving the main stage, thank god it was undercover as well That's probably the best thing about the venue, even though it was raining a lot it was nice to have all stages undercover.

yetiite

yetiite said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

And what did you think of cut copy? I think I watched a few songs and went to finish my night with !!!, I think it was, who were campy and awesome.

Stefan Beck said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

I'm thinking about doing a Melbourne trip next to coincide with Laneway sideshows.

And to call OldGregg a chav in real life.

The Great Monkey War

The Great Monkey War said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

Same here. The sound was kind of bad as I remember.

crob said on the 3rd Jul, 2012

they were pretty average at the meredith sideshow... alternatively the laneway sideshow was quite good

GrimFandango

GrimFandango said on the 4th Jul, 2012

agree.
their meredith set wasnt great.
laneway sideshow was much better. i guess they had a lot more material to work with.

LukeWarm

LukeWarm said on the 5th Jul, 2012

"girls split" sounds a bit rude