Image for Against Me! singer comes out as transgender

Against Me! singer comes outas transgender

Against Me! singer Tom Gabel has revealed to Rolling Stone that he plans to begin living as a woman under the name Laura Jane Grace.

The full story of Gabel’s transformation will be explained in the new issue of Rolling Stone but a teaser for the interview reveals that Gabel has dealt privately with gender dysphoria for years and will soon begin taking hormones and undergoing electrolysis treatments.

“I’m going to have embarrassing moments,” Gabel admits, “and that won’t be fun. But that’s part of what talking to you is about – is hoping people will understand, and hoping they’ll be fairly kind.” Gabel will remain married to her wife Heather and says that “For me, the most terrifying thing about this was how she would accept the news. But she’s been super-amazing and understanding.”

While Gabel didn’t comment on how his decision would impact the future of Against Me!, in an interview with FasterLouder in 2010 he was adamant that music was his life: “This is what I do and this is what I will always do until I die.”

Gabel has sung about his transgender struggle in the song The Ocean which features the lyrics “If I could have chosen, I would have been born a woman, My mother once told me she would have named me Laura, I would grow up to be strong and beautiful like her, One day I’d find an honest man to make my husband”. In March, Gabel also performed an acoustic rendition of a new song called Transgender Dysphoria Blues.

Comments

Dexter Ramone

Dexter Ramone said on the 9th May, 2012

Huge shock, but I've got nothing but respect for him. This'll be a tough time.

I wonder what it'll mean for the band

Braveheart81 said on the 9th May, 2012

I wonder what it'll mean for the band

I wonder what it'll mean for his wife?

crob said on the 9th May, 2012

does this mean there next tours after party will be at the sly fox...

grattan said on the 9th May, 2012

They're staying married.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 9th May, 2012

Does that mean that they're technically going to be a female fronted band now?

Braveheart81 said on the 9th May, 2012

I wonder if she going to change her surname to Grace as well.

berlinchair101 said on the 9th May, 2012

I guess he's not going to go against herself(?) any longer...

grattan said on the 9th May, 2012

Pic from the Rolling Stone story:

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 9th May, 2012

HA.

Did you get that avatar from that cracked article?

Braveheart81 said on the 9th May, 2012

She's going to regret those leg tattoos when she tries to wear a short dress/skirt.

berlinchair101 said on the 9th May, 2012

HA.

Did you get that avatar from that cracked article?

Sure did. It made me lol.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 9th May, 2012

Reminded me of this man

thunderbot

thunderbot said on the 9th May, 2012

pints of guinesss makes you a woman

grattan said on the 9th May, 2012

Updated with a new song called "Transgender Dysphoria Blues".. guess we really should have seen this coming.

curtis e bear

curtis e bear said on the 9th May, 2012

well that is a goodbye to one of the most powerful masculine voices in rock

ThatDude123 said on the 9th May, 2012

A couple of my queer punk friends made some good comments about this. tl;dr: they are scared as hell because they know from personal experience that a huge chunk of the "punk" community is going to throw shit at her for this.

Dexter Ramone

Dexter Ramone said on the 9th May, 2012

I'd argue that anyone who calls themself a fan of Against me would be rather accepting of the situation. (which has been proven thus far today)

I don't see the band playing festivals again; because the amount of backwards boofheads the world over will destroy them. They're the sort of people that aren't in local scenes, or people aware of anything outside their sheltered views.

what is punk. etc etc.

Imagine this happening in rap circles, or mainstream pop music for that matter.

tyler07 said on the 9th May, 2012

This is very much a shock but good on him/her.

I'm just hoping the band will continue!

kaydee

kaydee said on the 9th May, 2012

Wow. Good for her.

Kinda gives new meaning to the duet Against Me did with Tegan Quin a few years back.

curtis e bear

curtis e bear said on the 9th May, 2012

that said all the best for her, what a real brave decision to go through with

stuieb84

stuieb84 said on the 9th May, 2012

i have nothing but the highest respect for tom gabel/laura jane grace. it is a very brave thing to open up to the media about this. i only hope that the fans & crowd show the respect that this leadsinger deserves during the change period. i will have to checkout more of their their music after reading this article.

grattan said on the 9th May, 2012

AJ had already ruled them out of contention for Soundwave (or his other tours).

lateleigh

lateleigh said on the 9th May, 2012

Tom has never cared one bit what the broader punk community think of him. I think he will handle the transition well and keep his feet on the ground throughout. However, as some have already pointed out, he will cop a lot of crap no doubt from scene dickheads who never miss the opportunity to call somebody out as a 'fake' or a 'wannabe'. Let's just see how good/bad they are at hiding their own homophobia, or rather transphobia, as is the case.

dbag

dbag said on the 9th May, 2012

i'm not sure how the punk community will deal with this. my guess is not well. she should prepare herself for the backlash that awaits. she's brave, and i will never stop digging her music.

hellboy1975

hellboy1975 said on the 9th May, 2012

Anyone in the punk community not able to deal with this really isn't a punk.

tyler07 said on the 9th May, 2012

I don't really get what somebody would draw fault with here. I've had no dealings with any transgenders personally so my understanding of it is limited, but I still see no issue with it. So I'm sort of struggling to see what the deal is here? Does it really matter if a girl is now fronting the band instead of a guy?

Jo Jo

Jo Jo said on the 9th May, 2012

the punk scene has been a magnet for transgenders for many years. jayne county, lynn breedlove, vaginal davis, venus demars, april lawton, etc. so i can't see it being too big of a problem with other punks.

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 9th May, 2012

Gwen Stefani has been doing it for years.

Oflick said on the 9th May, 2012

I'm all for him doing this. Because there aren't enough posts saying this. I felt I had to raise the numbers.

brittles

brittles said on the 10th May, 2012

While I think it's very brave for him/her to announce this publicly, I think the part that takes the most courage is explaining to a two-year-old why daddy is now becoming mummy. That shit is hard for some adults to comprehend let alone a two year old child. More power to them.

Oflick said on the 10th May, 2012

It may be weird, but I don't think a two year old would struggle to comprehend it. For one they often just believe whatever you tell them. Plus when have you ever met a bigoted two year old (outside of the Phelps family)? I doubt a two year old would say "This goes against nature and God's word!"

But I still understand it wouldn't be easy.

crob said on the 14th May, 2012

I just watched a video of a sex change operation.... its intense

grattan said on the 24th May, 2012

From a [URL="http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/inside-transgender-singer-tom-gabels-rolling-stone-interview-20120509#ixzz1vkNW3jSm"]Rolling Stone interview with the journo who did the interview with Gabel:

Is she worried about the affect this will have on her career? How about on her singing voice?
She's hopeful that the percentage of fans that won't be cool with this will be small. She said, "I know our fans and it may be too much for some of them to take, but I know that a lot of them are open-minded and welcoming. I hope they'll come on this journey with me." The reaction I've seen has been almost all positive.

As far as her voice, she's not worried right now. So far the only kind of medical thing she's having done is hormones. She says the estrogen doesn't affect your voice. If she goes ahead with some of the cosmetic things – like tracheal shaving, which whittles down your Adam's apple – there's a possibility that might affect her voice. But she's really hesitant to do that because of that. As of right now, she should sound the same, as loud and aggro and awesome as ever, just as a woman.

mondo22

mondo22 said on the 24th May, 2012

It might just be me but can I see this whole thing being beneficial for the band.
I mean the LGBT community is quite massive and I can see a lot of new fans heading their way, especially due to the amount of publicity this topic has received. I can imagine they'll acquire a lot of heterosexual fans too, just because the shear amount of exposure the band has received. I'm sure a lot of people will be akin to the courage displayed by Tom.

I'm still no fan, but I now know who Against Me are.

Napoleon Solo said on the 24th May, 2012

Could have picked a better name...

Dexter Ramone

Dexter Ramone said on the 24th May, 2012

What would your name be Napoleon?

mondo22

mondo22 said on the 25th May, 2012

Busty St Claire?
Hootie McBoob?

grattan said on the 27th May, 2012

batdan

batdan said on the 27th May, 2012

Looks like Humphreys by the bay San Diego. Punters can't sing.

grattan said on the 4th Jun, 2012

The full Rolling Stone article is now online - settle in for a long read.