Image for At The Drive-In reunion show set-list and report

At The Drive-In reunion showset-list and report

Splendour In The Grass hopefuls At The Drive-In played their first show together in over eleven years to a small crowd of 400 loyal fans in Texas last night.

The band opened with Arc Arsenal and went on to play a fourteen song set which spanned much of their back-catalogue. Reporting from the gig in Texas FL Forumer Alfonzo said: “The opening salvo was magnificent; you can imagine nobody has seen them play for so long, then when they came out, everyone lost it.”

While set highlights included Enfilade and One Armed Scissor, Alfonzo did note “[You] can’t help but wonder if Omar really wants to do this. [He][ Played all his parts, but he barely moved the entire night … he couldn’t have looked more disinterested. Cedric seemed a little more restrained, but he still had heaps of energy and his singing/screaming were generally top notch. Jim Ward seemed to be having a blast [and while] a few crowd surfers were told off by Jim, the band didn’t seem too bothered by the crowd antics.”

The last time all original members – Cedric Bixler-Zavala, Jim Ward, Omar Rodríguez-López, Paul Hinojos and Tony Hajja – performed together in Australia was at Big Day Out 2001, when the band controversially stormed off stage in protest of the crowd’s behaviour after declaring: “You’re a robot, you’re a sheep!”

When speaking with FL about At The Drive-In reunion rumours last year, Jim Ward said: “I started At the Drive-In in a park when I was 17 years old and I couldn’t be prouder. I came from a town where people don’t come from musically, I didn’t come from LA, I didn’t come from a big city. We fought tooth and nail to get where we went, I’ll never be embarrassed by that.”

Check out this footage of the reunion show last night:

The reunion show set-list:

Comments

Alfonzo

Alfonzo said on the 10th Apr, 2012

They made their return last night in Austin, TX.

[youtube]Vii1UduMPZY[/youtube]

Fantastic night, great to be there and see them play a small show to maybe 400-500 people. The opening salvo was magnificent ... you can imagine nobody has seen them play for so long, then when they came out, everyone lost it. My personal highlight was Enfilade.

Although I can't help but wonder if Omar really wants to do this. Played all his parts, but he barely moved the entire night ... he couldn't have looked more disinterested. I read that his mum recently died, so maybe that had a lot to do with it.

I never saw them play back in the day and Cedric seemed a little more restrained than I've seen in old videos ... but he still had heaps of energy and his singing/screaming were generally top notch. He was drinking some concoction (tea?) in between every song, maybe he was under the weather and/or wanted to make sure his vocals were good. Jim Ward seemed to be having a blast.

A few crowd surfers were told off by Jim, but the band didn't seem too bothered by the crowd antics. At Coachella the crowd will be out of control due to its size, we'll see how they handle that. They played quite a few slower songs through the set last night which probably helped to control things.

batdan

batdan said on the 10th Apr, 2012

Cant wait for coachella.

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 10th Apr, 2012

how the fuck do you manage to see all of this

deanoss

deanoss said on the 10th Apr, 2012

that set looks outstanding.
fuck I hope splendour or harvest brings this down

MozzaC

MozzaC said on the 11th Apr, 2012

omar probably doesn't want to do this, he's got better things to go. like be at his mums funeral.

i_have_ADD

i_have_ADD said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Seeing Them Next Week Seeing Them Next Week Seeing Them Next Week Seeing Them Next Week Seeing Them Next Week Seeing Them Next Week Seeing Them Next Week Seeing Them Next Week Seeing Them Next Week Seeing Them Next Week Seeing Them Next Week Seeing Them Next Week Seeing Them Next Week Omfg

deanoss

deanoss said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You Fuck You

Jose Cuervo said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Seeing them Sunday....etc

ThatDude123 said on the 11th Apr, 2012

Sunday can't come soon enough.

Alfonzo

Alfonzo said on the 11th Apr, 2012

[youtube]V_UHub42jBY[/youtube]

deanoss

deanoss said on the 11th Apr, 2012

50min set at Coachella hardly seems enough. Mind you its better than 0 mins

Napoleon Solo said on the 12th Apr, 2012

Good setlist.
Hoping for a few club shows before they head off for benni.
As has been said, 50 mins at a festival isn't my cup of tea. Besides I still have nightmares about ATD-I festival sets.

Braveheart81 said on the 12th Apr, 2012

Circle Pit Santos and Flykick Laks will be throwing down hardcore in the mosh at Coachella.

The Great Monkey War

The Great Monkey War said on the 12th Apr, 2012

^ Your avatar is rocking my world right now.

Napoleon Solo said on the 12th Apr, 2012

Are you ready for pain? Are you ready for suffering? If the answer is yes, then you're ready for captain freedom's workout.

You have a secret weapon though, Santos.

Jose Cuervo said on the 12th Apr, 2012

Id rather be further back with space rather than crammed in like a sardine. Santos can go push in if he wants

Napoleon Solo said on the 12th Apr, 2012

I'm sure he will let you on his shoulders.

Jose Cuervo said on the 12th Apr, 2012

Couldnt think of anything worse tbh

Napoleon Solo said on the 12th Apr, 2012

I've had worst between my legs.

Alfonzo

Alfonzo said on the 12th Apr, 2012

Their Austin show was 15 songs in maybe 60-65 minutes. I'd say at Coachella they'll play about 12 songs, which seems pretty standard from a lot of their old setlists.

GangesFan

GangesFan said on the 14th Apr, 2012

omar's mother died a few weeks ago, so that is probably the reason he was a bit down. from everything i'd read he was exciting to be playing the shows

batdan

batdan said on the 17th Apr, 2012

I saw Omar smile at coachella, everything is cool.