First Listen: SilversunPickups

Update: (4/5/12)
The full album is now streaming via RDIO.

Silversun Pickups will release their third album, Neck of the Woods, on May 8th, which hopefully means that they have some tour plans on their schedule. Maybe this time they’ll visit us and play their own headline shows instead of just playing controversial support sets for Birds of Tokyo (and one headline gig) as they did on their most recent visit in 2010.

Neck of the Woods was produced by Jacknife Lee (U2, Snow Patrol, Bloc Party) at his studio in the middle of the Topanga Canyon woods, just minutes from where the band’s frontman Brian Aubert grew up. Aubert told Spin that “I hadn’t been back in years. I thought it would be fun to walk down my old street. It was like playing with fire a little bit. So much came back that I had forgotten about and it was a really emotional experience. I just realized this place and the feelings I had are still ingrained in me… [the last album] Swoon was more about what I was feeling at that particular time,” he says, “whereas with this one, I wanted to see what built me. It was learning why I am the way I am.”

Comments

endorphinz

endorphinz said on the 26th Mar, 2012

so good, can't wait for pitchfork to give this a 5/10...

Stugalug

Stugalug said on the 26th Mar, 2012

It's ok, don't love it. The intro is really great, but from 1.10 - 2.30 it looses all momentum that the intro built. It tries to recover and build, but for me it fails to get anywhere that moves me. The shimmery finish is nice too. I think more percussion, like what you can hear around 3.11 but louder, would add the guts it needs. IMO

tomw20

tomw20 said on the 27th Mar, 2012

newest hot tip for splendour: this

shazie said on the 27th Mar, 2012

I wouldn't call it newest as much as I would call it "everyone has been rumouring/hoping for them to play Splendour".

Please any other year apart from this year :(

Victim

Victim said on the 2nd May, 2012

If anyone is looking to get this album, you can get it for $12.99 from JB HiFi Online (with free postage), as it appears they've put the price on incorrectly instead of $21.99, so make the most of it whilst you can!

Although I wouldn't recommend them if you're looking at getting it delivered on/near release date, as despite being my favourite retail store, they're easily the worst online store I've ever used in terms of delivery times.. but you will get it eventually (except for this one album I ordered back in December...)!

shazie said on the 2nd May, 2012

Still no leak. I don't know why but I keep checking all the time..

shazie said on the 2nd May, 2012

You can listen to the album on

I'll wait until a high quality release is out though.

edit: Just realised won't work for Aussies.

01seb

01seb said on the 3rd May, 2012

[URL="http://www.phantom.ie/featured-3-footer/silversun-pickups-neck-of-the-woods-album-stream/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=silversun-pickups-neck-of-the-woods-album-stream"]http://www.phantom.ie/featured-3-footer/silversun-pickups-neck-of-the-woods-album-stream/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=silversun-pickups-neck-of-the-woods-album-stream
International stream!

shazie said on the 3rd May, 2012

I'm still going to wait until high quality download is out, want it to be a perfect playthrough :p

berlinchair101 said on the 3rd May, 2012

I just listened to the first song on that stream. Sooooo good. Mega keen for this record.

shazie said on the 3rd May, 2012

^
I don't think I can hold out that long until that arrives, this programming assignment is killing me and I need something to get me through it. High quality torrent will do me right

01seb

01seb said on the 3rd May, 2012

After first listen I'm impressed, but not overly-impressed. Seems like it'll be a grower though

shazie said on the 3rd May, 2012

I'm sure a jpg will make a fine torrent. I'm way too scared to find out what lies beyond that link.

Stefan Beck said on the 3rd May, 2012

Curse you kids and your technological know-how!

Braveheart81 said on the 3rd May, 2012

Don't be scared. It is safe for work.

shazie said on the 4th May, 2012

Proper leaks are out.

Had a first listen through, basically have the same reaction 01seb had. Will need more listens to sink in.

berlinchair101 said on the 4th May, 2012

I didn't realise this was actually out yet. Picked it up when I was wandering jb on my lunch break.

shazie said on the 4th May, 2012

Yeah for some reason even though it's official release is May 8th for the US, it's release in Aus and Europe is today(so I guess it didn't really count as a leak.. Good job though, usually stuff like this gets leaked a while ago).

Just having a second listen to the album at the moment and it's definitely a grower. This play-through sounds much better to me, mostly because I now have an idea what to expect from the album and the general tone. It's much less hook-focused than the past albums, so it doesn't have that initial big guitar riff, but more atmospheric-style songs.

gumbuoy said on the 4th May, 2012

Thanks for the tip BC, will pick up today.

Aidan1234567

Aidan1234567 said on the 4th May, 2012

im waiting on my deluxe copy in the mail, hoping its good

sucks i have to wait the 8th for the download

gumbuoy said on the 4th May, 2012

Btw that's not a typo - its $12.99 on the shelf at JB. *putchased*

shazie said on the 4th May, 2012

Wow that's cheap, I wonder why it's so low?

So people would PICKUP the album.

huuurrrduuurrrrr

davidswan

davidswan said on the 4th May, 2012

digging this album so so much

Daft Punks Lip Sweat

Daft Punks Lip Sweat said on the 4th May, 2012

Just came in here to tell you that it leaked but it appears I was too slow. Was even going to post this:

***Replace Ruby Slippers with "Album" and Pretties with "Shazie".

01seb

01seb said on the 7th Jun, 2012

Oh yes! This freaking rules

shazie said on the 7th Jun, 2012

Oh man, I'm watching atm and I'm in half a mind to wait until their next Australian tour to hear this for myself, I have a really weird thing about not seeing a setlist before I've seen a band on that current tour. But, so awesome O_O

berlinchair101 said on the 7th Jun, 2012

I don't think that's that weird.

SSPU always struck me as the kind of band that wouldn't play the same set every night though.

Aidan1234567

Aidan1234567 said on the 8th Jun, 2012

this is that good, can't wait for a tour