Sonic Youth's future"uncertain"

Sonic Youth’s Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore have separated after 27 years of marriage, casting doubts on the future of the band.

The pair confirmed have the news in a statement released via Matador Records: “Musicians Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore, married in 1984, are announcing they have separated. Sonic Youth, with both Kim and Thurston involved, will proceed with its South American tour dates in November. Plans beyond that tour are uncertain. The couple has requested respect for their personal privacy and does not wish to issue further comment.”

The band currently has five dates scheduled in South America ending with a show on November 14th in Sao Paulo, Brazil.

Sonic Youth most recent studio album The Eternal was released in 2009, the same year that the band appeared in an episode of Gossip Girl.

Comments

41921

Stefan Beck said on the 15th Oct, 2011

What the fuck?

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 15th Oct, 2011

This sucks. One of the bands I've always wanted to see, now it looks like I'll never have the chance

baka_roo

baka_roo said on the 15th Oct, 2011

sounds like a good time for a south american holiday if that's the case.

daveyac8881

daveyac8881 said on the 15th Oct, 2011

Pooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

:'(

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 15th Oct, 2011

That's kinda weird, I was just reading up on Sonic Youth the other day or so, and I thought about how impressive it was that Kim and Gordon had managed to stay together for 25+ years.

...Oops?

FollowTheSmoke said on the 15th Oct, 2011

fuck, i have a friend on a holiday in peru planning to go to one of those dates. looks like i'm never hearing the end of this one...

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 15th Oct, 2011

Have they actually outright said "oh btw these shows are gonna be our last ever lol"? Somehow that would seem just a bit too cruel of them...

FollowTheSmoke said on the 15th Oct, 2011

i for one would like to hear what lee ranaldo thinks about this shit

Stefan Beck said on the 15th Oct, 2011

Final tour dates aside I can't imagine the band continuing after this.

shazie said on the 15th Oct, 2011

FollowTheSmoke, you must never change your avatar.

Always wished I could have seen them, now I guess I'll never get the chance :(

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 16th Oct, 2011

Wikipedia tells me they were supposed to record new stuff this year. How disheartening.

Captain Smashed

Captain Smashed said on the 16th Oct, 2011

Hopefully you get your chance. They were the first band I saw back in 1998 and I have seen them a few times since. Awesome band! The Daydream Nation tour was amazing. If the split is amicable, they may keep doing their thing. Fingers crossed.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 16th Oct, 2011

The worst thing is I got into them only a few weeks after they were here for the Daydream Nation shows. And it was Daydream Nation that I started with too! I'm hoping it's amicable, but if it isn't, we won't even get a "farewell tour" or anything :(

gumbuoy said on the 16th Oct, 2011

...Oops?

maybe they got annoyed because noone could remember Thurston Moore's name, and kept calling him Gordon?

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 16th Oct, 2011

that is one of the bigger derps of my internet career so far

Thessaly

Thessaly said on the 16th Oct, 2011

^ : )) i just now got the typo...

as others wrote, i think that if their split up is amicable, they'll tour again in the future. they're experienced professionals, after all, so i don't see why not. if the separation is not amicable, then, uh, trouble...

still, either way, i think the chances are down to zero when it comes to them creating new music... and that's sad.

waylon black

waylon black said on the 16th Oct, 2011

Ahh Sonic Youth *Thinks back with fond memories of their set at BDO 2 and the even better set at Sydney Uni with Helmet and Mudhoney supporting, and a great set at the Summersault Fest in 95*

Now were's my zimmer frame

musickeepsusalive

musickeepsusalive said on the 18th Oct, 2011

that's sad, why break up after all those years

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 30th Nov, 2011

so they're done for, yeah