PJ Harvey wins the 2011Mercury Award

PJ Harvey has won the Mercury Music Prize, becoming the first artist to win the coveted award twice.

Her album Let England Shake snared the prize ahead of contenders from Adele, Elbow, James Blake and Anna Calvi and managed to repeat the success of her Stories from the City, Stories from the Sea record from 2001.

Harvey is also one of only two acts to be nominated for the award four times, with her 1993 album Rid of Me and 1995’s To Bring You My Love also shortlisted for the award. The other act to receive four nominations for the Mercury, Radiohead, has never actually won the prize.

When Let England Shake was released in February FL’s review declared that it “is as important an album anyone will make this year, maybe this decade. PJ Harvey marries starkly affecting poetry with some of the finest song writing of her career. War is futile and tragic. Let England Shake is not.”

While Harvey told FL earlier this year that with this record “I felt that I had more experience as a writer and more experience with language in what I could express through song – actually more coherent and more lucid ideas. And I needed to have that quality if I was going to begin to speak about such huge subject matter.”

Comments

sarahanne

sarahanne said on the 6th Sep, 2011

This makes me so happy. Take that Elbow!

ThatDude123 said on the 7th Sep, 2011

I think we can all say "At least it wasnt Elbow or Adele".

MissB

MissB said on the 7th Sep, 2011

She definitely deserves it. 'LEt England Shake' is an amazingly complex and beautifully heavy album.

Hope she tours out here soon.

sarcasm_mister

sarcasm_mister said on the 7th Sep, 2011

she really did deserve it. the fact that 10yrs after her first Mercury Prize and 20yrs after breaking through that she's still producing brilliant music really does prove that she is one of the all time great artists.

Piko

Piko said on the 7th Sep, 2011

Aye! Awesome news, Still my favourite album of the year so far.

grattan said on the 8th Sep, 2011

Drowned in Sound do the Neptune prize for the albums that were overlooked for Mercury nominations. This year SBTRKT won; and their full short list:

Mount Kimbie - Crooks & Lovers
SBTRKT - SBTRKT
Luke Abbott - Holkham Drones
Emmy - The Great Virtue
Friendly Fires - Pala
Bill Wells & Aidan Moffat - Everything's Getting Older
Wild Beasts - Smother
Forest Swords - Dagger Paths
Darkstar - North
Bryan Ferry - Olympia

Braveheart81 said on the 8th Sep, 2011

Someone should do the Uranus Prize for albums NME hyped that were actually massive pieces of shit.

grattan said on the 9th Sep, 2011

From NME:

Jessie J confesses to never having heard a note of Harvey’s music.

Speaking ahead of a private gig to promote video site Vevo, the 23-year-old singer told NME that not only had she not heard about the Mercury result, she wasn’t sure exactly what the Mercury was. "I didn’t see the ceremony, no, I was jet-lagged after a flight back from America so I had an early night. I live in a bubble. Could I be up for a Mercury next year? Possibly. I should probably find out what it is before then, ha ha."

When asked to comment on PJ Harvey’s win, the ‘Price Tag’ and ‘Do It Like A Dude’ star confessed that she’d never heard of her, but vowed to explore her back catalogue after the interview, asking, “Is she good then?”

Farken kids and their farken pop and bloody grrr.

MorningAfterboy said on the 9th Sep, 2011

She should buy Stories from the City on vinyl. Forget about the price tag.

therat

therat said on the 9th Sep, 2011

No comment from Bring Me The Horizon yet?