All About The Music

Are music videos worthless?

Tools
berlinchair101 +

His favourite movie is books!

Times thanked
< 9,580
I usually check out new bands on youtube and it will almost always be a live clip. If they can't play the song well live I usually don't give them another go.

I don't know that this article was a a particularly strong argument for music videos. It didn't seem to answer any questions it raised, seemed to agree with the title question but didn't commit to it and then wound up not really saying anything at all.
gumbuoy +

*holds up lion cub, then eats it*

Times thanked
< 3,045

Quote:

Mainstream TV and radio has become such a honed nugget of trash, that it serves its purpose perfectly. To mindlessly entertain people for a bit so they don’t have to think about what’s going on around them.

the throngs of people who look at music, television and art as nothing other than a stream of vibrations to stop their soul from being an anchor to the bottom of the ocean of existence.

So long as we're not being elitist about it, or anything...
Reviewing 100 albums in a year - 100albums100words on We Gave It Seven - http://www.wegaveitseven.com

I got Hepatitus C from a horse
but no confusion
It wasn't from the sex
it was a blood transfusion.

MUTHERFUCKER GOT HORSE BLOOD
Napoleon Solo +

I'm going to pretend I am watching Heat

Times thanked
< 1,841
The funny part is that I know bands that gained new fans by getting their music on 16 and Pregnant and Teen Mom.
The article is naff really. No issue. MTV has more than 1 channel dedicated to music videos.
hammerlord +

Scenester

Times thanked
< 0
life, eh!
lineofbestfit +

emotional cues from a script.

Times thanked
< 264
i don't know hands made me believe that somewhere there are a room of starving chix hanging out with animals.
http://moochingwarwidows.tumblr.com
http://www.last.fm/user/jimmy_reardon
Piko +

Pondering lifes many questions &quot;Whats that smell??&quot;

Times thanked
< 326
Aye I am oldschool, i prefer to go to youtube to hear and see a song rather than use spotify to just hear it. Call me old fashioned... but thats just how i roll and all that
ThatDude123 +

NO ONE MAN SHOULD HAVE ALL THAT POWER RANGERS

Times thanked
< 2,046
I think we are forgetting that two of the three biggest pop songs of 2012 (STIUTK and Gangnam Style) got their fame off the back of their viral video clips.

Video clips still work, just in a very different way. And artists use the success they bring at their own peril. You can either get huge like Justin Bieber, or fuck it up like OKGo.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAMONESelaar View Post

Santos, who blurs the line between irony and genuine fandom.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Braveheart81 View Post

I once dubbed someone with the nickname Bunnings. As in they were such a tool they were a building full of them. Unfortunately for them, the nickname stuck.

Big Day Out/Arcade Fire/Laneway/Mistaken For Strangers Q&A/The National/QOTSANIN/The Rolling Stones/Michael Buble (In the B-Stage Moshpit FARKEN!)

Go to Albertinho.net for links to my social networks and some occasional rambling, I guess
MorningAfterboy +

Quicky likes this post.

Times thanked
< 6,601
How exactly have OKGO fucked it up? They still amass millions of views for their videos and have a pretty decent following/fanbase etc.
I don't need this pressure, Ron...

april: Iron & Wine, John Mayer, Marklife, We Lost the Sea, Oslow.
may: sietta, Holy Fuck, Twitching Tongues, Janelle Monae, Pixies x2, St. Vincent, Ms. Lauryn Hill, James Vincent McMorrow, DZ Deathrays, James Blunt.
june: The Paper Kites, Royal Blood, White Lung, The Beards x2, Hard-Ons, Wagons, La Dispute x4, RÜFÜS, Dune Rats.
ThatDude123 +

Times thanked
< 2,046
They do?

Quote:

Quote:

I once dubbed someone with the nickname Bunnings. As in they were such a tool they were a building full of them. Unfortunately for them, the nickname stuck.

Big Day Out/Arcade Fire/Laneway/Mistaken For Strangers Q&A/The National/QOTSANIN/The Rolling Stones/Michael Buble (In the B-Stage Moshpit FARKEN!)

Go to Albertinho.net for links to my social networks and some occasional rambling, I guess
MorningAfterboy +

Quicky likes this post.

Times thanked
< 6,601
23 million for Needing/Getting, 14 million for White Knuckles, 38 million for This Too Shall Pass. I think they're doing just fine for themselves.

may: sietta, Holy Fuck, Twitching Tongues, Janelle Monae, Pixies x2, St. Vincent, Ms. Lauryn Hill, James Vincent McMorrow, DZ Deathrays, James Blunt.
june: The Paper Kites, Royal Blood, White Lung, The Beards x2, Hard-Ons, Wagons, La Dispute x4, RÜFÜS, Dune Rats.
spanisheyes +

Scenester

Times thanked
< 1
i find most videos incredibly silly. unless you're gonna get chris walken to dance & fly in your video, what's the point? posing on the beach...a cliff...a forest...yawn. sometimes you see something really innovative or clever...but rarely. i love however music videos that show the recording process, in the studio. springsteen has quite a few of these, which i quite like.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ut1manvfghm

i wish we could see more videos showing how a song was created, produced...shameless plug, here's mine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkhtqwzggny
ThatDude123 +

Times thanked
< 2,046
...then half-price tickets for their OAF show in 2011...

Quote:

Quote:

MorningAfterboy +

Quicky likes this post.

Times thanked
< 6,601
2010*

ThatDude123 +

Times thanked
< 2,046
So older still?

Even, the meaning of viral between then and now has changed a lot since then. 5 years ago, the most viewed video on YouTube was still Evolution of Dance with 80 million views.

Gangnam Style got that many views in the past fortnight.

Quote:

Quote:

MorningAfterboy +

Quicky likes this post.

Times thanked
< 6,601
Bit harsh to compare ANYTHING to Gangnam Style, though. Not even STIUTK can keep up with that thing.

batdan +

All of a sudden, that Offspring record doesn't do it for me anymore

Times thanked
< 2,361
I still enjoy watching music videos. My dream job would be a music video director but sadly I'm not creative.

Quote:

Originally Posted by berlinchair101 View Post

Fuck yeah! SLAYER!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oflick View Post

Got enough "Slayer" in your sig, Batdan?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazie View Post

If I say Slayer will I get in Batdan's sig?

berlinchair101 +

His favourite movie is books!

Times thanked
< 9,580
*on set of Beiber's new video*

Batdirector: Can we get more blood through the sprinkler system? It's meant to rain blood not drizzle. And JB, buddy, raise that severed goat head above your head like you mean it so the leather clad suicide girls gyrating on your legs get as many entrails on them as possible. Jeezus, I'm trying to make a picture here!
These Are Places You Can Find Me Standing With My Arms Folded

May
Arctic Monkeys

July
Violent Sobros & the Shit Street Band

September
Kanye West

October
Justin Timberlake

lateleigh +

is all over it

Times thanked
< 19
I miss when the 'bottom of the barrel' was something to be avoided instead of exploited for all it's apparent worth. MTV and all the shithouse crap they play may well be a 'distraction' as gumbuoy said, but how low must your attention span be to be distracted by a show about bogan slappers who get knocked up at 16? I think I am more in danger of being bored than distracted.
batdan +

All of a sudden, that Offspring record doesn't do it for me anymore

Times thanked
< 2,361
There needs to more music videos of bands on tour, shot in Black and White with slo-mo montages of the band doing what they love but with cut scenes to backstage or a tour bus to show how exhausted they get being rockstars then to finish with the band on stage rocking-the-fuck-out as the crowd goes wild and the house lights come on.

Yeah thats what I'm talking about. Or what BC said earlier.

Quote:

Originally Posted by berlinchair101 View Post

Fuck yeah! SLAYER!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oflick View Post

Got enough "Slayer" in your sig, Batdan?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazie View Post

If I say Slayer will I get in Batdan's sig?

crob +

is a happy chicken

Times thanked
< 819
The cost of music video production is pretty intense for something what will predominantly be viewed on YouTube. With YouTube being a double edge sword in that through YouTube a music video is an advertisement that will be there forever, but it is limited in that it has to be sort out by an active audience, what means there not much chance for a small unknown band having their music being heard by new ears through YouTube, unless it has something special to it e.g. OK GO, phy…. Yet small bands are also fucked on Traditional distribution methods such as [V] and MTV, what can reach new ears as it focuses on a more passive audience, as these broadcasters have a number of restrictions to their playlist, as they have to reflect the aria charts, core demographic, what records companies are pushing, etc.

Whilst I agree that it sucks that Artists get zero royalties for video plays on YouTube and Vimeo, & whilst it is fair to say that these sites basically condoned piracy all I can think in response to that was MARTIN ATKINS speech at Face the music this year. ‘IF PEOPLE AREN’T STEALING YOUR MUSIC, YOU’RE FUCKED
larrybird +

Groupie

Times thanked
< 28
i have add. i can't listen to music and watch the clip atthe same time. i listen to music (like right now),whilst typing this and running some background programs. mp3 killed the video star
gumbuoy +

*holds up lion cub, then eats it*

Times thanked
< 3,045

Quote:

Originally Posted by lateleigh View Post

I miss when the 'bottom of the barrel' was something to be avoided instead of exploited for all it's apparent worth. MTV and all the shithouse crap they play may well be a 'distraction' as gumbuoy said, but how low must your attention span be to be distracted by a show about bogan slappers who get knocked up at 16? I think I am more in danger of being bored than distracted.

dude, i didnt say that. i was mocking the original piece for being elitist.
Reviewing 100 albums in a year - 100albums100words on We Gave It Seven - http://www.wegaveitseven.com

I got Hepatitus C from a horse
but no confusion
It wasn't from the sex
it was a blood transfusion.

MUTHERFUCKER GOT HORSE BLOOD

« Previous Thread Next Thread »