Page 1 of 2
  Tools
berlinchair101 +

His favourite movie is books!

Times thanked
< 10,054
Richard Kingsmill: "I am not monopolising or acting as some sort of overlord.”

jhf92 +

won tickets to foals, a camera pack and a signed album!

Times thanked
< 14
I thought the username of the writer made it relatively obvious who wrote that Polaroids piece.
Endrey +

Scenester

Times thanked
< 3
surely by nature the monopolisation and kingmaking is inescapable. the bulk of those 50 people are based in sydney and work for the sole national music-driven broadcaster, which is targeted at 'youth'.

two options, scrap it and let the hundreds of community radio stations rise properly or expand to have another music station aimed at playing good music for even adults (not just failed adults like rosie beaton).
Lez Daskong +

Scenester

Times thanked
< 1
"what do we think will excite them"??? how about not banging on about how awesome jjj is and/or promoting jjj every time one of the announcers speaks. the amount of ads is worse than most of the commercial stations.
flukazoid +

?!

Times thanked
< 9
jhf92: Hmm, not sure about that.

Anyway, I find all of this interesting. Basically, it pits all of the anecdotal evidence I hear vs the word from the man himself. Not making a judgement, just commenting.

That said, at the end of the day I don't think it's about (nor should it be about) picking a personal fight with Kingsmill. The problem has more to do with the monolithic nature of JJJ, rather than the guy in one of the key jobs. Sure, the station could be more diverse, but at the end of the day we'd be better off with more options rather than only one completely national cultural influence for this age bracket.
Nosyt +

Fanatic

Times thanked
< 713
Wouldn't being the director of something imply overlord?

What does he do all day, just sit there asking others 'What do you think, yeah that'll do' while spinning in his chair reminiscing on his glory days?
Four Naan Jeremy? Four? That's insane.
distantsun007 +

having a totally rad 2010!

Times thanked
< 2
irrespective of his reasons or intentions, triple j are the first and foremost legitimate avenue for bands to make it... and that's been by their own design. well played, though i gotta say i agree with polaroids' article and dislike it immensely.
gumbuoy +

*holds up lion cub, then eats it*

Times thanked
< 3,203

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lez Daskong View Post

"what do we think will excite them"??? how about not banging on about how awesome jjj is and/or promoting jjj every time one of the announcers speaks. the amount of ads is worse than most of the commercial stations.

Man, how long has it been since you listened to the commercial stations? They do as much if not more presenter-promo than JJJ, and same with recorded ads, plus all the other recorded ads.

Good to see the King fight back against the detractors, although the article that seems to have prompted this was written by Everett True, Australian music's very own "old-man-yelling-at-clouds". He's best ignored.

Of all the people decrying the Unearthed station/website, are any of them in bands? No. Because, as usual, bands and artists are just happy to have another avenue to get their music out there to people, while armchair "industry experts" wail and cry because they didn't think of it first.
Reviewing 100 albums in a year - 100albums100words on We Gave It Seven - http://www.wegaveitseven.com

I got Hepatitus C from a horse
but no confusion
It wasn't from the sex
it was a blood transfusion.

MUTHERFUCKER GOT HORSE BLOOD
berlinchair101 +

Times thanked
< 10,054
Everett True headstone will read: Here lies Everett True - He liked a band that millions of other people also liked, first.
These Are Places You Can Find Me Standing With My Arms Folded

November

NOFX : Manchester Orchestra

December

Cloud Nothings

gumbuoy +

Times thanked
< 3,203
I'd never read that Polaroids article, and it's complete shit. Wanna know the giveaway?

Quote:

The biggest mistake you could make as a band uploading your tunes to Unearthed is to think that you are subjecting your material to an open forum, where if your work is truly great you will succeed in getting it on the radio. On the contrary, you are subjecting yourself to the opinions of a select few Triple J staffers who, given their track records in 'discovering great Aussie bands', have at best extremely questionable taste.

And there it is.

In summary,

WAAAAAAH TRIPLE J DOESNT PLAY MUSIC THAT I LIKE ANY MORE SO I'M GOING TO SLAG OFF THEIR ATTEMPTS TO EXPOSE NEW AUSTRALIAN ARTISTS WAAAAAH!
Reviewing 100 albums in a year - 100albums100words on We Gave It Seven - http://www.wegaveitseven.com

but no confusion
It wasn't from the sex

berlinchair101 +

Times thanked
< 10,054
Poloroids of Androids that have sandy vaginas

November

December

Cloud Nothings

gumbuoy +

Times thanked
< 3,203
Basically, there isn't a single argument you can make against the Unearthed station that isn't based on "I don't like what JJJ play!" in which case, why listen?

but no confusion
It wasn't from the sex

Braveheart81 +

is pumping on your stereo

Times thanked
< 7,679

Quote:

Originally Posted by Endrey View Post

two options, scrap it and let the hundreds of community radio stations rise properly or expand to have another music station aimed at playing good music for even adults (not just failed adults like rosie beaton).

This ignores the fact that for a lot of people in regional and remote areas, Triple J is their only option if they want to listen to music on the radio.

The size of Triple J also allows it to provide opportunities to far more Australian artists than would be possible if there were lots more community radio stations that were all a bit bigger than they are now.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumbuoy

There has never been a single thing said on these forums that was worth turning into a sig.

gumbuoy +

Times thanked
< 3,203

Quote:

two options, scrap it and let the hundreds of community radio stations rise properly

What's stopping them? This is my problem with the anti-JJJ argument. "Triple J is terrible, and by their existence they stop other stations from flourishing!" If they were terrible, and the other stations were better, wouldn't the audience move to those stations naturally?

Quote:

or expand to have another music station aimed at playing good music for even adults (not just failed adults like rosie beaton).

And there's my other problem. I need to derive some sort of shorthand for "WAH JJJ DOESN'T PLAY THE MUSIC THAT I LIKE ANY MORE WAH!"

but no confusion
It wasn't from the sex

secondclassciti +

Kwaka Snapper

Times thanked
< 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by gumbuoy View Post

And there's my other problem. I need to derive some sort of shorthand for "WAH JJJ DOESN'T PLAY THE MUSIC THAT I LIKE ANY MORE WAH!"

People seem to forget the "youth broadcaster" part of JJJ's description.
flickr.com/photos/uc_mitch/
berlinchair101 +

Times thanked
< 10,054
I also seriously doubt anyone in a band is going to shun a new avenue for people to hear their music.

November

December

Cloud Nothings

RAMONESelaar +

Shut up and get rad

Times thanked
< 4,393

Quote:

Originally Posted by berlinchair101 View Post

I also seriously doubt anyone in a band is going to shun a new avenue for people to hear their music.

If only there was someone on the FL forums who was in a band...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RocknrollHendo View Post

Oh well, YOLO and all that.

October: PRE-FEST (FL) - FEST (FL)
November: Antarctigo Vespucci/Hard Girls (FL) - Pup (NY) - Restorations/The Smith Street Band (NY) - Iron Chic/Beach Slang (NY) - The Smith Street Band x 3 - Jacob - Pinch Hitter
December:
gumbuoy +

Times thanked
< 3,203
oh man. i give up on the FL FB page, and I'm calling it now - they're worse than the Splendour forum.

but no confusion
It wasn't from the sex

RAMONESelaar +

Shut up and get rad

Times thanked
< 4,393
I dunno, was some fun to be had earlier today on the post about the Ken West article

Quote:

November: Antarctigo Vespucci/Hard Girls (FL) - Pup (NY) - Restorations/The Smith Street Band (NY) - Iron Chic/Beach Slang (NY) - The Smith Street Band x 3 - Jacob - Pinch Hitter
December:
RAMONESelaar +

Shut up and get rad

Times thanked
< 4,393
Okay, after reading through the comments, I can see why you're giving up

Quote:

December:
gumbuoy +

Times thanked
< 3,203

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondclassciti View Post

People seem to forget the "youth broadcaster" part of JJJ's description.

exactly. i'm 32 years old, and i dont like the music on JJJ very much, whereas I used to love it/be obsessed with it. And you know what? That's FINE. I don't NEED JJJ any more. I've formed my musical tastes (not that I don't try new things, or get surprised occasionally), I know what I like and how to find it, and I'm perfectly happy to do my own thing, and let the station play the music that people younger than me like.

but no confusion
It wasn't from the sex

RAMONESelaar +

Shut up and get rad

Times thanked
< 4,393
I'm 20 (which puts me right in their target demographic) and I'd rather listen to CDs in my car than JJJ, because it negates having to sit through a handful of songs I don't like to hear one that I do.

I used to listen to JJJ all the time, but now that I can discover and get music with ease, I don't really see the need to.

Quote:

December:
daveyac8881 +

how many oriental wives have you got?

Times thanked
< 554
I still don't know who to blame for Skrillex
Gig Guide and Possibilities:
June: 6: Earlwolf, 18: Chris Tucker
July 25-28: Splendour in the Grass
RAMONESelaar +

Shut up and get rad

Times thanked
< 4,393

Quote:

Originally Posted by daveyac8881 View Post

I still don't know who to blame for Skrillex

Teenagers and frat boys.

Quote:

December:
NiteShok +

FL Contributor

Times thanked
< 5
Hi. I interviewed Richard on behalf of Rolling Stone, for a story that was published in last month's issue of the magazine. Now that the issue is no longer on sale, I allowed Collapse Board to publish it, with permission from RS. I stated clearly at the beginning of the interview that it was for RS. Please amend the news story. Thanks.
daveyac8881 +

how many oriental wives have you got?

Times thanked
< 554

Quote:

Originally Posted by NiteShok View Post

What do you think? Post your comment...

I think you look like a slightly effeminate version of Jay from Frenzal Rhomb

Also I think you don't need to click the post button so many times.
Gig Guide and Possibilities:
June: 6: Earlwolf, 18: Chris Tucker
July 25-28: Splendour in the Grass
RAMONESelaar +

Shut up and get rad

Times thanked
< 4,393
Maybe if you were in the thread instead of commenting the article, you wouldn't be herping your derp so badly.

Quote:

December:
themhumm +

Groupie

Times thanked
< 20
The man is without a doubt the most powerful man in Australian music.

If he hated you could you imagine that you would have a successful career in the Australian music industry on a large scale
batdan +

All of a sudden, that Offspring record doesn't do it for me anymore

Times thanked
< 2,355
I might not like all the music on JJJ but as BH stated, people in rural areas don't get access to the awesome community radio stations which may or may not exist. Also being a national station it does give someone like me who travels interstate, city and country a station to listen to without having to put up with rural FM shite or city commercial crap.

Quote:

Fuck yeah! SLAYER!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oflick View Post

Got enough "Slayer" in your sig, Batdan?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazie View Post

If I say Slayer will I get in Batdan's sig?

themhumm +

Groupie

Times thanked
< 20
streaming online haha http://www.4zzzfm.org.au/listen-online
themhumm +

Groupie

Times thanked
< 20
themhumm +

Groupie

Times thanked
< 20
daverh +

pretty boring

Times thanked
< 163
I'll say it again, I think a lot of criticisms people hold for triple j stem from preconceived and often uninformed ideas about the station, what is played and how it's run.

As some people have pointed out there's really no other broadcaster that offers the content and opportunities for both listeners and artists that triple j does to rural and indigenous Australians. At a time when commercial radio stations are balking at filling their quota of 25% Australian music triple j is spinning 50% as another quote from this interview attests to. And you know what else? The triple j Unearthed radio station is 100% Australian music - pardon the tickets on myself and the station.
squagz +

squagz.wordpress.com

Times thanked
< 20
I heard Kingsmill speak at the 2009 One Movement Festival conference and he openly admitted Triple J programs its music to whatever will get the best ratings. They have a government-funded commercial format. The station doesn't cater for music nerds, it caters for a mass audience. No government is going to increase funding into a national broadcaster if it isn't returning the results on paper.

Kingsmill: Look at the percentage increase in listeners since day x Mr Arts Minister Crean.
Crean: Here have some money.

They don't really give a shit what the minority thinks so get used to it. Why do you think Kingsmill only agreed for an interview in Rolling Stone? Anything smaller would not be worth his time. And that's not a criticism, it's just the way the game's played. As he said in the interview "I'm not looking back reading an article that 30 people are probably reading, and worrying about it too much."
Big Boys Socks +

Scenester

Times thanked
< 1

Quote:

i'm 20 (which puts me right in their target demographic) and i'd rather listen to cds in my car than jjj

i'm calling bs. 20 year olds don't own cd's.
duvel +

coachella

Times thanked
< 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by big boys socks View Post

:d
lateleigh +

is all over it

Times thanked
< 19
my complaint with jjj isn't really the music content or the ridiculous amount of self-promotion, but the lack of any personality or diversity in the presenters. they used to come across like a highly professional community station with no obvious connection between each program/programmer but for some time now it has just sounded like a constant dirge of samey same same. in simpler terms, they're just boring now.
lateleigh +

is all over it

Times thanked
< 19
My complaint with JJJ isn't really the music content or the ridiculous amount of self-promotion, but the lack of any personality or diversity in the presenters. They used to come across like a highly professional community station with no obvious connection between each program/programmer but for some time now it has just sounded like a constant dirge of samey same same. In simpler terms, they're just boring now.
RAMONESelaar +

Shut up and get rad

Times thanked
< 4,393

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Boys Socks View Post

20 and half - if that makes any difference? I prefer to have a physical copy and I'm too lazy to get a new stereo for my car.

Quote:

December:
sarcasm_mister +

Fanatic

Times thanked
< 1,377
this was kingsmill's top 10 for 2011

LAURA MARLING - A Creature I Don't Know
GOTYE - Making Mirrors
UNKNOWN MORTAL ORCHESTRA - Unknown Mortal Orchestra
AUSTRA - Feel It Break
WILCO - The Whole Love
JAY-Z & KANYE WEST - Watch The Throne
FOSTER THE PEOPLE - Torches
BIG SCARY - Vacation
SBTRKT - Sbtrkt
TOTAL CONTROL - Henge Beat

looking at that list i wish he was monopolising and acting like a warlord at triple j.
Leadfinger +

Scenester

Times thanked
< 0
i have never understood why the taxpayer funded abc is so supportive of corporate record label's latest products/artists.....jjj may as well be advertising coca cola and vb for all it does for warner, sony etc etc. is there any difference really???... i wish richard kingsmill would piss off and get a real job, stop sucking on the public teat....maybe he can work for sony or warner?
berlinchair101 +

Times thanked
< 10,054
Yeah man! We should only listen to government sponsored music!
Ben OMealley +

boring

Times thanked
< 0
why isnt kerser getting played
berlinchair101 +

Times thanked
< 10,054
Kerser is the shittest, lad.

November

December

Cloud Nothings

Declan_L +

Scenester

Times thanked
< 2
i don't really listen to triple j as much any more, i can't stand the music mostly. it has become the australian nme radio, and the nme has a trashy taste in music.
gumbuoy +

Times thanked
< 3,203

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leadfinger View Post

i have never understood why the taxpayer funded abc is so supportive of corporate record label's latest products/artists.....jjj may as well be advertising coca cola and vb for all it does for warner, sony etc etc. is there any difference really???... i wish richard kingsmill would piss off and get a real job, stop sucking on the public teat....maybe he can work for sony or warner?

so what you're saying is, no government owned radio station should ever play any music owned by a major record label.

best of luck with that champ.

but no confusion
It wasn't from the sex

batdan +

All of a sudden, that Offspring record doesn't do it for me anymore

Times thanked
< 2,355
Yeah triple J should just play bands with no record deal. fuck you corporate rock.

Quote:

Fuck yeah! SLAYER!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oflick View Post

Got enough "Slayer" in your sig, Batdan?

Quote:

Originally Posted by shazie View Post

If I say Slayer will I get in Batdan's sig?

whitesmoke +

Scenester

Times thanked
< 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by leadfinger View Post

yeah, dedicating a new station entirely to unsigned bands was just another way to suck up to sony and warner

idiot
pandup +

rollerskating

Times thanked
< 2
i was super cynical of triple j but have realised that to reach a national audience, support local music and take music to the people, you need to be versatile and that means there will always be music you don't like. i know and respect the team and for all the naive people shooting them down think about what you would do without triple j? listen to triple m?

unearthed is amazing for local bands to be heard, let's embrace the abc supporting aussie music rather than bitch like spoilt emo brats.

i think we need a station that sits between triple j and nova as bands have to be 'indie' or pop, makes it tough for certain bands.

if you don't like it, don't listen.
pandup +

rollerskating

Times thanked
< 2
i was super cynical of triple j but have realised that to reach a national audience, support local music and take music to the people, you need to be versatile and that means there will always be music you don't like. i know and respect the team and for all the naive people shooting them down think about what you would do without triple j? listen to triple m?

unearthed is amazing for local bands to be heard, let's embrace the abc supporting aussie music rather than bitch like spoilt emo brats.

i think we need a station that sits between triple j and nova as bands have to be 'indie' or pop, makes it tough for certain bands.

if you don't like it, don't listen.
Page 1 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »