Fanatic

Times thanked
< 3,588
Yes.
steveproxy +

Scenester

Times thanked
< 3
just picked cd from record store . very good indeed. i'm certainly light on in my oz jazz collection, this will fill a void very quickly.
maryusdemetry +

Groupie

Times thanked
< 84
i buy all my music from cd stores.
ronnyswanson +

Scenester

Times thanked
< 0
wow, this debate is hectic
JamesSilverB +

Scenester

Times thanked
< 1
from a consumers point of view record stores will always provide more worth than an online platform could. browsing and holding a product in a store will always be a greater experience than holding an ipod and flicking your phone screen to scroll.

however,

from an artist's point of view there is room for both physical and digital products to go hand in hand. i manage a number of artists and distribute their singles & eps out to the likes of itunes and spotify. the costs are low and on a number of services you can receive back 100% royalties which makes it risk free.

when an artist goes on tour we will do a small run of special edition physical products, good quality packaging, maybe an added track etc just to bring more worth to them which can be sold at shows on the merch stand. again the costs are relatively low and the return can be very rewarding.

every artist would love to see their music in a record store, but in the current environment it just isn't a reality. the internet has made music accessible for both artists and fans. a track can be recorded, mixed, mastered and available to download within 24 hours. the internet helps bands build the platform to be able to reach a level where a physical product in a record store is a realistic option.
angelic_layer +

Scenester

Times thanked
< 0
personally, i'm tactile.
BrokenVenom +

Scenester

Times thanked
< 2
Record Stores vs The Internet
this is a touchy subject with a lot of people. i always have and probably always will purchase albums through format of cd and lp. up until six months ago i was still recording mix tapes for my car (it only had a cassette player). i sometimes youtube music to have a taste of what a band/artist sounds like which is handy. but mp3's and digital formats don't have provide the quality and authenticity that the cd or vinyl can. record stores will one day be scarce as hell.. just like the old video store where we use to hire movies from.. ahh the days of vhs.. anyway, my point is, we are progressing in a way where physical copies of music will be a rarity, not impossible, just uncommon. look at all the physical formats of the past that have dies: beta, vhs, cassete, laser disc, etc. all of them have been taken over by a technologically superior device. as mp3 is technologically superior to the cd and lp, i suggest it is innevitable that physical copies will become rarer and uncommon.
Moggytrax +

Scenester

Times thanked
< 0
Vinlyl is old school, but also available in digital as time code records
digital is the only way to move forward, with pushing the envelope of what you can conceive through your laptop, home computer and a phone line; when its digital!

what makes me wonder is.; is there is ever any end to progress or is it perpetua?
l
Musicdoesmatter +

Scenester

Times thanked
< 1
Music is more important then profit
everyone in this forum is posting really good points but you seem to focus on profit. music shouldn't be about that any more making music is near on impossible, itunes is amazing but we have lost and will continue to loose out culture because of it, the live venues are closing classic record stores are biting the dust and soon the culture of what music stood for will be buried in it. music does matter. there was a time we could discuss music face to face at stores listen to people tell stories that we could relate to in times of need and pay them for the honor of sharing those stories it's now all about getting free music and paying a therapist to solve our issues.
relishdead +

Groupie

Times thanked
< 157
I think there is definitely room for both. I play vinyl at home but I listen to MP3's on my iPod and in the car. I've bought a few new release records recently which have come with a free MP3 download, which is perfect as it's the best of both worlds. I love spending an overcast Sunday morning touring record stores and digging around for that LP I've been looking for, and it's so fun to have people over, and instead of me monopolising the sound system with my playlists, taking turns to put on records. Of course, my MP3 catalogue will always be more extensive than my collection of vinyl, and it's certainly more convenient and "on the go" but I - probably due to my upbringing - will always have a soft-spot for records. I've always said (in an expression of distaste for the majority of "popular music") "God, when I have children, there'll be no TV, and no internet, but they can listen to Mummy's records" That was pretty much my own mother's take on things, and I like to think I turned out alright.
vlssi +

Scenester

Times thanked
< 0
personally, i feel that both record stores and the internet are both great places to find, listen to and buy music. i like that sites and platforms like bandcamp, youtube, spotify, last.fm and soundcloud provide me the opportunity to 'try before i buy' whilst allowing me to find direct links to similar bands or artists. in saying that; i will not buy a digital copy of a record as prices are ridiculously high for an intangible product, i do occasionally buy physical products, cds, 7" and 12", through online record stores such as insound or directly through record labels themselves.
culturally i see record stores to be of importance as the whole experience of going out of your way to walk in the door and dig through crates of both pre-loved and new records and cds and then speak to an actual person and find out similar bands through the trusted word of mouth of the clerk makes the listening experience a lot more enjoyable as you're able to remember at least a little bit of what you were feeling and the ecstasy on digging up the nugget you've picked up.
the internet is great for finding out about and hearing new music and online record stores are easy ways to pick up records that may have become out of print in australia but are still available in europe and the states. however nothing beats the actual experience of going to a record store and digging through crates and the physical human to human interaction involved.

Last edited by vlssi: Fri 10th May 2013 at 4:09 PM

Page 2 of 2

« Previous Thread Next Thread »