Image for Real punks react to the Met's 'Chaos to Couture' exhibit

Real punks react to the Met's'Chaos to Couture' exhibit

The day that punk died again. No, The New Yorker isn’t talking about that time Henry Rollins appeared on a billboard for Gap, or when Joe Strummer’s heart gave out, or Johnny Rotten starring in a butter commercial, or ‘Pretty Fly For a Guy’, but the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s exhibition, Punk: Chaos to Couture, which opened in New York yesterday. Focussing on the very deep and fundamental relationship between punk’s DIY attitude and the couture concept of “made-to-measure”, the exhibition examines “punk’s impact on high fashion from the movement’s birth in the early 1970s through its continuing influence today”. And no one embodies that nexus more than Miley Cyrus, who spent eight hours spiking up her hair to match her $5000 Marc Jacobs “crystal mesh overlay dress”. She was one of many celebrities and fashionistas who flapped about on the red carpet when asked what punk means to them. We asked some real punks to respond.

“I went to the [Vans] Warped Tour a lot” – Darren Criss, some dude from Glee

“I dig Green Day and Avril Lavigne” – 16-year-old actor Hailee Steinfeld

“Favourite punk song? Um, it’s kind of hard on the spot. Is Goo Goo Dolls considered punk?” — Kimberly Chandler, some NBA player’s wife

“I’d like to see some real punks in here – like street punks.” – Vogue creative director Grace Coddington

“I’ve never rocked punk before” – Kerry Washington, played Idi Amin’s wife once in a film

“I don’t know if you can tell by the looks of me, but … Debbie Harry was kind of [the inspiration]” – Anne Hathaway, star of The Princess Diaries

Photo: Getty

“I died my hair black for tonight, with spray paint!” – Karlie Kloss, ranked second on the Top 50 Models Women list by Models.com

“I wanted to do my own thing, put my own twist on it” – Madonna

“I don’t know” – former child actor Dakota Fanning on her favourite punk tune

“Punk for me is not probably the mohawk, typical punk that you’d sort of envision. A little bit more like ‘romantic punk’” – Kim Kardashian, actually dating Kanye

“Tonight for The Met I am channelling the OG queen of PUNK, JOAN of ARC!” — Katy Perry, kissed a girl once and liked it

Photo: Getty

“I feel very elegant but kinda punk rock because it’s leather” – Jessica Alba, fan of Melbourne’s Twerps

“It’s punk because I’ve gone totally classic on a punk night!” – Gwyneth Paltrow, Apple’s mum

Comments

MorningAfterboy said on the 8th May, 2013

"played a gay dude on Glee"

And, as we all know, faggots can't be punk.

ROYALwithCHEESE

ROYALwithCHEESE said on the 8th May, 2013

I have a chain on my wallet.

Is that punk?

berlinchair101 said on the 8th May, 2013

"played a gay dude on Glee"

And, as we all know, faggots can't be punk.

Of course they can't, they are too metal.

lois

lois said on the 8th May, 2013

hahahahahahahahahaha !!! thats all i have to say ..! oh i agree with john !

lois

lois said on the 8th May, 2013

if u wanna see some street punk in 2013 .. go see the barb wire dolls !

humanracin

humanracin said on the 8th May, 2013

yeah, because Punk was always about the clothes...

and, um... what IS THAT standing next to Anne Hathaway!?

gumbuoy said on the 8th May, 2013

I say we get all the celebrities who dressed up together in a room with Johnny Rotten and then ask "Hands up anyone who's ever done a TV advertisement for butter."

berlinchair101 said on the 8th May, 2013

Someone should have taken style tips from GG Allin.

Spike Polite

Spike Polite said on the 8th May, 2013

i am in an exhibit about punk rock in the rock n roll hall of fame, played cbgb on a regular basis with my band sewage that i front and we played with the ramones. played gg allins last show and even joined another band called jessie camp and the 8th street kidz....why dont they have me at this event? i hung out with debra harry at coney island high and had dee dee ramone help out my band sewage! why are there no real punk rockers speaking at this?!!!

gumbuoy said on the 9th May, 2013

I think the real question is - why isn't Miley Cyrus on the FasterLouder forums? It would make about as much sense...

Spike Polite

Spike Polite said on the 9th May, 2013

fuck off phonies. why are there celebrities on here who know nothing about punk rock?

MorningAfterboy said on the 9th May, 2013

I'm also in an exhibit.

I'm also Spartacus.

Braveheart81 said on the 9th May, 2013

It's not very punk to be angry that other people are getting mainstream attention instead of yourself.

loudQUIETloud

loudQUIETloud said on the 9th May, 2013

I think the real question is why isn't Whiplash in any exhibits.

gumbuoy said on the 9th May, 2013

Who are you talking to?

Celebrities where? Who? Whuh?

snooeisen

snooeisen said on the 9th May, 2013

ugh no the problem isn't that people are dressing 'punky', it's the fact they're doing it in a shallow, shitty way. punk != studs and ripped fishnets. it's so much more than that and they're bastardising it for money/fashion.

i know i sound like one of those 'more punker than thou' punks but i don't care, if you don't know a damn thing about the subculture other than dyed hair and spiked jackets, you need to stop.

rpphoto

rpphoto said on the 9th May, 2013

interesting that our old-school punk scene is getting so much attention. there have been major art museum punk shows in los angeles, and my san francisco themed punk art show at the museum of contemporary art denver last year. i loved the 1970s eclectic san francisco punk scene with it's deep art and literary profile, yet wild. a very open minded and unique scene like no other. the film "louder, faster, shorter" came from san francisco, btw.

crazytrain

crazytrain said on the 9th May, 2013

clothes? fucking really? punk grew out of the morass that was the 1970s, a time of fucking disco and jimmy carter. no jobs, no hope and no fucking future prospects. it was anti-music, it was anger and it was beautiful!in an era when captain and tennile we're warbeling, the pistol, ramones and the replacemants came out screaming about all the bullshit that we were being force fed, when we went to your schools, your churches. your institutional learning facilities. we had enough. and you wear it as a fucking fashion. sure, i'm 51,now, but my spirit never died, though i've been married 21 years, and have 3 kids and a house( hey we had to grow up, at some point)my kids are the ones excelling at school because they've been taught true history, the good, the bad and the very, very, ugly.

berlinchair101 said on the 9th May, 2013

The Sex Pistols are terrible.

grattan said on the 10th May, 2013

gumbuoy said on the 10th May, 2013

Yeah, and look at all the change you enacted. Those schools, those churches, those institutional learning facilities and traditional houses of power are NO MORE! NO MORE do they rule the country, the media, the hearts and souls of the people! Bang up job you guys did there.

Yeah cos if there's one thing we know about school, it's the kids who buck the system and know the TRUE history that do really well.

Braveheart81 said on the 10th May, 2013

I wish I'd been taught punk maths when I was at school.

Oflick said on the 10th May, 2013

But they're so pretty, oh so pretty.

deanoss

deanoss said on the 10th May, 2013

Am I the only one seeing the resemblance here?

ROYALwithCHEESE

ROYALwithCHEESE said on the 10th May, 2013

Am I the only one seeing the resemblance here?

Persephone 66

Persephone 66 said on the 10th May, 2013

and now i want to break something.

i mean more than i usually do.