Image for The Winners and Losers of the Hottest 100

The Winners and Losers of theHottest 100

All the winners and losers of the Hottest 100 poll.

Winner – Australia

It would be Un-Australian to suggest that voters lean on Australian acts because the poll has become an Australia Day tradition… but with 44 local songs on the list it does appear that many voters may have been swayed by patriotism. Or maybe almost half of the best songs released last year simply were written by locals acts. Maybe.

Loser – Australia

Which brings us to the next point – How did so many bloody foreigners manage to get played in our national poll on Australia Day?!

Even if we claim Kimbra as a newly adopted local there were still far too many songs on the list that weren’t written while solemnly gazing at the Southern Cross and downing a locally brewed beer. It’s a national disgrace and Rodney Hogg is appalled by your voting choices.

Winner – Scorpios

Songs that were released under the heavenly guidance of the Scorpion fared remarkably well in the top tiers of the poll. Of the top ten tracks on the poll six tracks – Hilltop Hoods – I Love It {Ft. Sia}; 360 – Boys Like You; San Cisco – Awkward; Lana Del Rey – Video Games; Matt Corby – Brother; and The Black Keys – Lonely Boy – were released under a Scorpio moon.

The success of these songs is obviously due to direct influence from the heavens rather than because the songs were released between the 23rd of October and November 21st and freshly in the minds of listeners when voting opened.

Winner – Idiot Proof Song Titles

Almost a quarter of the songs on the countdown feature one word titles which is a distinct advantage for voters who were keen to fit their full list of track names into a single tweet. Voters who had a top ten that featured Killer, Arnold, Rope, Mary, Bounce, China, Money, 1996, Jungle and Air still had half a tweet left to announce “#hottest100 fkn rules mate. Can't wait to hear all me faves on Aus Day.”

Winner – Kimbra

Kimbra has won the inaugural Ian Church award for being a “lass who can hold her own with the boys" with four entries on the chart including three of her own tracks – Two Way Street, Good Intent Cameo Lover. Although no doubt everyone's (least) favourite reviewer Mr Church is happy to see that her highest placing contribution to the list – first place holder Somebody That I Used To Know – came via a cameo appearance on a man’s track.

Gals who weren't quite strong enough to “hold their own with the boys" and score a place on the chart on their own included Sia (collaborating with Hilltop Hoods), Gossling (with 360), Kelis (with Calvin Harris) and Little Dragon’s Yukimi Nagano (with SBTRKT).

Winner – Big Day Out

Despite the many issues that have dogged the Big Day Out this year the festival lineup did impressively well with Boy and Bear, Kanye, Kimbra, Nero, Kasabian, Foster the People, Hilltop Hoods, Art Vs Science, The Jezabels and Bluejuice all making the cut. Perhaps Ken West was using fake user names to vote for his favourite acts.

Loser – Soundwave

Not a single Soundwave band made the cut on the Hottest 100 poll. No Mastodon, no Limp Bizkit, no Black Veil Brides ?!

Loser – Heatwave

Winner – The Black Keys

Twelve months ago the Black Keys were on the receiving end of an out pouring of internet hate after they bailed on the Big Day Out tour at the last minute citing “exhaustion”. They still haven’t made up for those missed shows, but it appears that all is forgiven with the duo scoring a second place on the Hottest 100 countdown.

Comments

conditionals

conditionals said on the 27th Jan, 2012

this was pretty stupid. "how did so many bloody foreigners manage to get played on our national poll on australia day?!"... because it's the goddamn hottest 100 songs of the year?

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Would you like me to sign you up for my new workshop, "How to Tell When Someone Has Told a Joke"?

Snutty

Snutty said on the 27th Jan, 2012

who really gives a crap where the music comes from? i listen to music because i like it, not because it's australian.

conditionals

conditionals said on the 27th Jan, 2012

obviously i missed the underlying sarcasm of that part of the article. what a douchebag.

MorningAfterboy said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Admitting it is the first step.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Loser – Novelty Songs
The Beards somehow managed to sneak their one joke act into the chart with You Should Consider Having Sex With A Bearded Man managing a 98th placing but 2011 wasn’t a great year for novelty songs on the Hottest 100 poll – which is a resounding win for listeners.

Cosmo Jarvis’ gay pirates just scraped into the upper reaches of the poll at #85 and Nero’s dubstep reworking of Arron Carter’s finest minutes Crush completely failed to poll. It’s a far cry from the old days when the Hottest 100 boasted the likes of Denis Leary, King Missile, Dana Lyons and Chef from South Park in the voting.

The Beards got 99, not 98. And surely Luke Million's Arnold counts as a novelty song too?

Jestarrr

Jestarrr said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Loser - Not a single Bon Iver song in the top 50.

berlinchair101 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Winner - No one calling up their ex crying and slicing their wrist during the top 50

Hinee

Hinee said on the 27th Jan, 2012

swing and a miss grattan

Oflick said on the 27th Jan, 2012

i was hoping for a mastodon song to show up. i only know a few of the songs that made the list, shows how ignorant i am to what's popular.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 27th Jan, 2012

Yeah, I voted for Curl Of The Burl, was thinking it might slip in somewhere between 100 and 80. Ditto Frenzal's Bird Attack but the voters disappoint me yet again.

mondo22

mondo22 said on the 27th Jan, 2012

"Shockingly no songs from Heatwave acts made the Hottest 100 cut either. No love for Chamillionare’s latest banger?"

or should I say smanger?

grattan said on the 1st Feb, 2012

Great chart from the Mess+Noise BDO review

atlien90

atlien90 said on the 1st Feb, 2012

it was dominated by middling, boring j-fag tripe, as it always is, and the abundance of aussie shit hop ruins it every year.

midnight city at #5 was one of the few redeeming factors.

MorningAfterboy said on the 1st Feb, 2012

Midnight City is shit. So is homophobia.

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 1st Feb, 2012

Midnight City was a good chance for a nap

Stefan Beck said on the 1st Feb, 2012

Midnight City is great.

And looking through the list I really like 24 songs in the Hottest 100, and if a cool guy like me approves of almost 25% can it really be that bad?

atlien90

atlien90 said on the 1st Feb, 2012

midnight city is great.

and looking through the list i really like 24 songs in the hottest 100, and if a cool guy like me approves of almost 25% can it really be that bad?

me too, but it's the order that's problem. niggas in paris at #98 but 360 and hilltop hoods in the top ten? are you fucking kidding me? are there that many mentally retarded people in this country?

tyler07 said on the 1st Feb, 2012

This is what I like most about Midnight City:

Jestarrr

Jestarrr said on the 1st Feb, 2012

I think it's more the fact that a lot of the Australian acts in the top 10 seem to release songs just before the voting begins. (360, Hilltop, San Cisco). Makes sense too, considering they get brought out just before the festival season where they can really draw a crowd. These songs are always fresh in the minds of voters.

You've gotta remember, it's the hottest 100 - not the best music awards. If it was, Fleet Foxes, SBTRKT, Bon Iver, Black Keys etc.- all the decent bands they play on triple j - would have just swept the the top 10. (Not a single FF song on there, for shame Australia!)

MorningAfterboy said on the 1st Feb, 2012

Two-step process:

1. STOP CARING.
2. Make your own top 100. For instance, in mine Niggas in Paris was #12 and 360 and Hilltop Hoods didn't chart.

Braveheart81 said on the 1st Feb, 2012

I held a BBQ on Australia Day to listen to Triple MAB's Hottest 100 but no one showed up :(

ThatDude123 said on the 1st Feb, 2012

That awkward moment when your friend who's a Slipknot fan is the one speaking sense on facebook by telling everyone to stfu about the Hottest 100.

Nosyt

Nosyt said on the 1st Feb, 2012

It's taking valuable comment time from that age old question, who is better, maggots or juggalos?

MorningAfterboy said on the 1st Feb, 2012

I was at BDO! Next time, pal!

I'm sort of a Slipknot fan...

berlinchair101 said on the 1st Feb, 2012

In preperation for Soundwave I popped Iowa on for the first time in ages.

It's ok.

Fake Plastic Android

Fake Plastic Android said on the 1st Feb, 2012

For those playing at home.......

I love 6% of the songs that made the Hottest 100 this year
I like 19% of the songs that made the Hottest 100 this year
I feel indifferent about 17% of the songs that made the Hottest 100 this year
I dislike 15% of the songs that made the Hottest 100 this year
I hate 6% of the songs that made the Hottest 100 this year
I don't even know 34% of the songs that made the Hottest 100 this year

tyler07 said on the 1st Feb, 2012

Will mosh to Duality.

berlinchair101 said on the 1st Feb, 2012

I'm glad i saw them tour Vol. 3. After that I got old enough to not like them.

Braveheart81 said on the 1st Feb, 2012

For those playing at home.......

I love 6% of the songs that made the Hottest 100 this year
I like 19% of the songs that made the Hottest 100 this year
I feel indifferent about 17% of the songs that made the Hottest 100 this year
I dislike 15% of the songs that made the Hottest 100 this year
I hate 6% of the songs that made the Hottest 100 this year
I don't even know 34% of the songs that made the Hottest 100 this year

What happened to the other 3%?

atlien90

atlien90 said on the 1st Feb, 2012

missing due to rage induced by listening to the doctor and then tom and alex for five hours, i'd guess

RAMONESelaar

RAMONESelaar said on the 1st Feb, 2012

Tad sandy today, aren't we?

MorningAfterboy said on the 1st Feb, 2012

gumbuoy said on the 1st Feb, 2012

What part of that sentence did you take seriously?

I was going to come, but then I took an arrow to the knee.

I'll show myself out...

RocknrollHendo

RocknrollHendo said on the 21st Oct, 2012

is there a 2012 prediction thread?

gumbuoy said on the 21st Oct, 2012

ill set up the tipping thread, but not until a little closer to the launch of voting - most of the predicting happens around then...

shazie said on the 21st Oct, 2012

I predict the masses of the JJJ crowd will way too angry over whatever is chosen.

RocknrollHendo

RocknrollHendo said on the 21st Oct, 2012

nice look forward to it. Tame Impala Elephant is likely to be my tip at this stage.

lineofbestfit

lineofbestfit said on the 21st Oct, 2012

surprised no one has been witty and posted the winners and losers cast here tbqh

monokhrome_nite

monokhrome_nite said on the 22nd Oct, 2012

The JJJ crowd sure seems to way too angry a lot

snapcrackleROCK

snapcrackleROCK said on the 22nd Oct, 2012

Will Gangnam Style win, or will the bogans have turned by then?

RocknrollHendo

RocknrollHendo said on the 22nd Oct, 2012

I don't listen to Triple J / Radio unless there's a festival announcement or a countdown but have they even played that rubbish yet?
surely they can just ignore the idiots who vote for it.

MorningAfterboy said on the 22nd Oct, 2012

fuckn straya day

getta dog upya

berlinchair101 said on the 22nd Oct, 2012

I hope something comes up for Australia day this year now that BDO isn't on it. I think last time wasn't on it Them Crooked Vultures played so there is a standard to live up to.

RocknrollHendo

RocknrollHendo said on the 22nd Oct, 2012

just a great excuse to get drunk in the sun for us Kiwis living in Aussie.

MorningAfterboy said on the 22nd Oct, 2012

How about a punch-on in your backyard?

snapcrackleROCK

snapcrackleROCK said on the 22nd Oct, 2012

How about Gingham Style?

MorningAfterboy said on the 22nd Oct, 2012

Some sort of C-town party is needed. That goon isn't going to slap itself.

mondo22

mondo22 said on the 29th Oct, 2012

At least this year there isnt a terribly obvious choice for number 1.
Though I havent really listened to triple J at all this year.

berlinchair101 said on the 29th Oct, 2012

At least this year there isnt a terribly obvious choice for number 1.
Though I havent really listened to triple J at all this year.

Hullo

gumbuoy said on the 29th Oct, 2012

I'm pretty sure to win the Hottest 100, you actually have to be played on JJJ, at least a few times :)

andy_chalmers_102

andy_chalmers_102 said on the 29th Oct, 2012

I'm pretty sure they wouldn't offer Gangnam Style as an option so you'd have to write it in, which is far too much effort for the average Triple J listener.

01seb

01seb said on the 29th Oct, 2012

I'm going to say Lana Del Rey - Born to Die will win.

gumbuoy said on the 29th Oct, 2012

That might go top 10, but no way it'll win - came out too early in the year, and its not bigger than Video Games...

berlinchair101 said on the 29th Oct, 2012

I was under the impression the J's had played Gangnam Style?

ThatDude123 said on the 29th Oct, 2012

There is a history of both novelty songs (Pretty Fly For A White Guy, Asshole) and non-JJJ songs (anything by Ace of Base or U2, as well as most recent Foo Fighters) making the list. I say: find out where Rebecca Black's Friday ended up last year - I think it made the top 200 off memory - and double that.

Early predictions, no particular order: Sweet Nothing - Calvin Harris feat. Florence Welch, Trembling Hands - Temper Trap, Ghosts - Presets, My Gun - The Rubens, I Will Wait - Mumford and Sons, Alt-J - Breezeblocks, Of Monsters and Men - Little Talks

EDIT: Add Rudimental - Feel The Love or Something For Kate - Survival Expert and that's pretty much what I think will be in the Top 10

gumbuoy said on the 30th Oct, 2012

http://www.abc.net.au/triplej/musicnews/s3425670.htm says it didn't make the list.

PFFAWG and Asshole are novelty songs that JJJ thrashed to death. Novelty songs that didn't get played? Well, why don't we ask where Crazy Frog made the list?

I imagine, even if people vote for it, JJJ will just block it.

Andeh

Andeh said on the 31st Oct, 2012

Bar the Reubens, I have no real idea of what's likely to get top 10. Bangarang? Knife Party?

If this Kendrick Lamar hype train keeps rolling and JJJ pick up a single and flog it, it could do well.

Piko

Piko said on the 31st Oct, 2012

Well you won't be winning any comp this year!

ThatDude123 said on the 4th Nov, 2012

Another contender:

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 4th Nov, 2012

I fucking hope not.
Macklemore can eat multiple wangs.

gumbuoy said on the 4th Nov, 2012

surely not poppy enough to be played on Nova? Without the key Nova demographic, it's very hard to get that #1 spot...

gumbuoy said on the 4th Nov, 2012

p.s. that song AND that clip. Both awesome.

jacegalvin

jacegalvin said on the 4th Nov, 2012

I reckon it will be played on nova within a couple of months.

shazie said on the 4th Nov, 2012

Little Talks from Of Monsters And Men looks like it'll get quite high from all the airplay it's been getting. I really love that song but I hate how every 5 minutes when the TV at work is on Channel V all I hear is that and Birdy covering Skinny Love..

snapcrackleROCK

snapcrackleROCK said on the 4th Nov, 2012

How about Gingham Style?

I would rather see this guy win than that fucking cover of Skinny Love.

MorningAfterboy said on the 4th Nov, 2012

Life is hard!

Just so we're clear, you guys realise that Little Talks came out in August last year? Would be so shat off if a 2011 song won the 2012 countdown.

gumbuoy said on the 4th Nov, 2012

Knights Of Cydonia won the 2007 H100 after it was released in 2006. :)

But it gets a pass because it's awesome.

tyler07 said on the 4th Nov, 2012

I'm gonna be pissed if anything except Call Me Maybe wins. Anything else will be a travesty.

grattan said on the 4th Nov, 2012

Life is hard!

Would have thought you'd respond with something along the lines of "who cares, why get butthurt it's just the Hottest 100!"

Anyway it'd be no shock to see Little Talks near the top of the poll - according to the knower of all things (wiki) it only hit the Aussie charts in September this year. Can't imagine anyone pulling their vote with the thought "Oh dear I better not vote for this, after all it was released in Iceland last year."

MorningAfterboy said on the 4th Nov, 2012

The Aussie charts are not a great example of when something is current. Let's not forget "Check Yes Juliet" by We The Kings racing up the charts in 2011 - three years after its release.

grattan said on the 5th Nov, 2012

Ah yes how could we ignore We The Kings...